News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

slow dcc train

Started by ggreens, November 30, 2009, 10:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ggreens

Hi, my dads dcc train layout is running slow even with only one train on it.  He has cleaned it - wondering if the 5 amp power booster will help  or is that only helpful when your running several trains

ABC

It will only allow you to run more trains, it won't increase the maximum speed of the trains.

Jim Banner

Answers to a few questions would help us figure out what is happening.
- what DCC system are you using?
- has the train always run slow or is this a new development?
- if the train is from a train set, is it pulling a lot of extra cars?
- does it run slow on all parts of the track or only in certain places?
- how fast does it actually run?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

TrainArts

Yeah, the max speed of a DCC set is lower than a 12V setup, in my experience.

rich1998

this should not be a problem if the loco speed is prototypical. do not compare to dc control. there is a possibilty on dc the loco was running to fast.
find out what speed the loco normally ran at.

lex

TrainArts

Quote from: lexon on November 30, 2009, 02:47:30 PM
... if the loco speed is prototypical. do not compare to dc control. there is a possibilty on dc the loco was running too fast.

That's funny, I like to run trains slowly, only up to proto speed, like you. For me, the slower I can make it crawl the better.

But certainly around Xmas there are plenty of kids "running 8" making that train go as fast as they can ;>)

ggreens

Hi Jim,
Here is the additional info you requested.  It is an EZ command system.
Just running the engine-no cars,  the trains are running slower than they used too.  It happens all the entire track.

I am considering buying  a new command controller to see if that solves it.

Thanks for the help 

Jim Banner

For a lot less money than a new DCC system, you could buy a Digital Multimeter.  They can often be had for less than $10.  Most of these meters have at least one ac voltage scale, usually 0 to 200 volts ac.  Using such a meter, you can tell if you are getting 18 volts ac out of the wall wart power supply that feeds power to your E-Z Command and you can tell approximately what the DCC voltage is on the track.  These low cost meters usually give an erroneous reading when used to measure DCC type ac but that does not matter.  If you measure 17 volts on your track and I measure 17 volts on my track, we know it is not a low voltage problem.  But if I measure 17 volts and you measure 11 volts, we know immediately where the problem is.

A remark by lexon makes me wonder if this is a seasonal railroad, set up once a year around the Christmas tree.  These railroads suffer from some special problems, notably loss of lubrication from sitting long periods and dog/cat hair or lint wrapped around the axles if run on carpets. 

If you can get hold of a meter, I can do some measuring with mine and we can compare notes.

Jim

ggreens

sounds good jim  i will do some measrements.  You have got my courosity up about the lubricant?

ggreens

jim  I have 17.1 volts on the track where the wires go in and it goes downhill from there down to about 14 volts further on down the line.

He has used the cheaper easy snap plastic track to set up the layout.  Looks like those connections may be shakey.  Probably should think about replacing the rails with better quality stuff.  I have heard that after snappling them on and off several times they loss tightness of the connections?  He has lubricated his locomotives.  Is there anything you use to condition the track itself?

Jim Banner

The cheaper track (including E-Z Track with a black base) has galvanized steel rail.  The zinc galvanizing keeps it from rusting but sometimes the zinc itself corrodes from trace gases in the air.  One solution is to clean the rails with a mild abrasive (like a Bright Boy eraser) and then oil it very slightly.  My own layout has nickel silver, brass and steel rail in about equal proportions and when I oil them, they all perform equally well.  A few drops of conductive oil (I often use Labelle 108 - your hobby supplier may have different brands) will do a small layout.  Just put them on a clean piece of cotton rag, about 3" square, and squeeze the rag several times to distribute the oil.  Then wipe the tops of the rails with the rag.  What you are aiming for is a layer of oil only a few molecules thick - enough to keep the air out but not enough to make the rails slippery.

The voltage near the feed wires is the same as what I get.  I assume you had some sort of load drawing current (maybe a locomotive?) when you measured farther down the line.  (Sorry I forgot to suggest this.)  In that case, the drop shouldn't be enough to slow things down.  On the other hand, if all you were using was a regular digital meter which draws almost no current, there have to be some pretty high resistance connections to drop 3 volts.  Maybe it would be worthwhile to tighten up the rail joiners by squeezing them gently with a pair of needle nose pliers.  This is best done with the track sections apart but don't over do it or you won't be able to put them together again.

Jim