News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Locomotive "Break-In"

Started by Flyer, November 20, 2009, 08:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer

I hear references to "proper break-in" for train locomotives.  What exactly is "proper break-in for a new locomotive"  ?

Chris350

In basic terms break in involves running the locomotive in both directions at various speeds for a period of time with out any additional load on the loco.  I read somewhere to avoid full speed operation, as the goal is to mesh all the moving parts properly.  Some folks like to use the rollers that one can purchase for static displays.  I usually run mine for 30-45 minutes this way.  I also check to make sure any parts requiring lubrication are lubed.

ABC

Jim Banner has previously suggested running the loco in a figure 8, so the turns are equal.

CNE Runner

As ABC & Jim Banner suggested; running a locomotive in both directions at various speeds on a figure 8 is probably the best way to go. If you don't have the space for a figure 8 (or don't want to spring for all that track and crossing), the wheel rollers work very well. They can be had at Micro Mark.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jbsmith

I just follow the instructions that come with the loco about break in.
For the first few hours, run the loco at various speeds with frequent stops
but do NOT run at full throttle.
As the others have stated, Do this in both directions.

I have found that works well.

jward

something my dad and i have always done is to use the new locomotive in the yard switching cars for a few days. his yard, and my layout as well, have wye tracks where we can turn the engines around and use them either direction.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jdmike

I usualy run a lap of the club layout with just the locomotive, with the hills and having to stop for other traffic it gets a nice easy waking up.  Then I relube all the axle points, side rods ect and add the 2 club business passenger coaches and run a "special" for a couple of laps.  The coaches are weighted to NMRA specs and have Central Valley sprung trucks.  Not a huge load, but no running engine light either.  My NKP Berk is virtualy silent as it runs.    Address any squeeks or dry bearing sounds right away.   

full maxx

well mine will be here in a few days so I'm glad I saw this thread but I would have read the paper work anyway but any ideas are better than none
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

lmackattack

If its a steam engine I just put it on the track and let it pull a good string of cars in the direction that it is intended to run(forward) after a few nights on the club layout its well broken in and should run smooth.

if its a diesel I run it a few laps in forward then in reverse. after about 50 scale miles (5 laps) its about as smooth as it will ever get.

Flyer

Thanks for all of your helpful replies - hope each of you had a great Thanksgiving !