News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wire gauge for switches

Started by AHRJMR, February 05, 2007, 11:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AHRJMR

What gauge wire shuld I use for connecting remote switches to a switch?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Banner

Jim, you don't mention what kind of switches you want to switch.  If you are using stall motor switch machines like Tortoise, then fine wire, like telephone wire, will do.  But if you are using dual solenoid switch machines, like the ones built into Bachmann, Atlas and other switches, you should use a heavier wire, particularly if the distance is great.  Speaker wire, doorbell wire, and lamp cord will all work.  Twenty gauge doorbell wire is cheap, widely available and comes in both 2 and 3 conductors.  The 2 conductor is good for building lights etc. that require only 2 connections.  The 3 conductor is good for extending the wires on remote switches needing 3 wires.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

AHRJMR

I am using an Atlas Remote Snap Switches. I have to run the wire about 5 feet.

Jim Banner

For that distance, just about any wire that you can get under the screws will work.  If you have to buy some wire, the bell wire is a good choice.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ben_not_benny

18-20 for HO scale should be good.

AHRJMR

ben_not_benny

The size of wire also depends on how far away the turnout is. The longer the run, the more resistance.

LD303

i use 4 or 6 wire phone line....color coded so you dont get mixed up as to which wire goes where....works great on my atlas switches.

Seasaltchap

With the old ringing bells in telephones, the voltage could jump to 80v on the line, don't know what amperage, must have been low for the gauge of wire.
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

JerryB

The older telephone wire works quite well, but much of the 'new' telephone wire is a foil-like material that is impossible to solder to. Modern phone connections are usually crimped, so the wire can be made cheaper than the previously common small gauge copper.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources