News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

horn or bell

Started by crjdriver, November 29, 2009, 05:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crjdriver

Just received a new FA-1 set with True Blast sounds, horn and bell. I run old Lionel equipment, still like my o27 track and a ZW transformer. The ZW only has a whistle switch, sometimes it make the horn go off, sometimes it make sthe bell work. Any ideas as to what I need to do or get to get the sounds when I want them? I'm new at this multiple sound stuff so pardon me if this is a stupid question.

Joe Satnik

Dear crjdriver,

I've built one of these, it works pretty well:

Build a better sound activation button
Classic Toy Trains, November 1998 page 104
Upgrade your transformer with this simple-to-build device
( ELECTRONICS, SOUND, "ZOLLO, JOHN", CTT )

Hope you can find a back issue or a reprint from your library system. 

Some Lionel dealers might have this issue in their personal collections.

If you can't find it, let me know.   

Hope  this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

MAPA JCT

Building one is a great idea, but if you are not into that, go to your local hobby shop and buy a Lionel in-line sound activation button. I forget the SHU number, but the LHS owner should know what you need.
Marty,MA&PA JCT

Joe Satnik

Dear Marty,

The Williams reverse boards are rated to 6 amps.  The CTT plans use a 6 amp switch and 6 amp diodes. 

The stock activation button (which passes ALL the current for the engine or engines) is not good for much more than one amp, and has no provision for using the "boost" winding inside the ZW.   

Please note the word "better" in the title of the CTT article.  IMO the author was being excessively kind to the Lionel sound activation button designer.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

phillyreading

Another thing that I have experianced is that you need to hold the horn activation button for three or four seconds to get the bell to work on the first generation True Blast 2 sound systems, same thing to turn off the bell.

The Lionel horn button(cheaper than making your own) is the best way to go for getting the bell feature to work, I did the sound activation project mentioned in CTT and it worked less than half the time. If your transformer don't have a horn or bell feature buy two Lionel horn buttons and hook one up the regular way and the other hook-up the wires in reverse order.

Lee F.

crjdriver

Thanks for all the information folks, heading out to find the magazine for reference and to a Lionel store for a button. If I find both will compare and post what works best if there is a differnce.

crjdriver

BTW, I tried holding the button down yo switch over to horn, it worked once, but have yet to make it work again, so it must be something in the switch, thanks again.

Joe Satnik

Dear crjdriver,    

Here is an old thread that might help:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,9614.0.html

You can also use the Bachmann board search function entering "sound lionel".

Have you tried reversing the wires on the S.A. switch?

In addition to all engine power going through the switch, it must also handle the current for any lit passenger cars or a lit caboose.

Another Classic Toy Train article:

CTT October, 2006
BUILD A BETTER BELL BUTTON
How to make a sound improvement to a Lionel activation controller.
Dennis Eichenberg

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

phillyreading

I have an MTH Z-1000 that I run a lot of engines with and the Williams do very good with it, has both bell & horn/whistle features.
Sometimes you can pick-up a nearly new transformer at a train show for almost half of what a hobby shop sells them for.

Lee F.