News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New 2-6-6-2

Started by OCDoug, December 02, 2009, 10:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCDoug

I can't get a feeling about the size of this engine and have not seen it in 3D. What are the dimensions of this loco? Thanks.

El Loco

1/4"= 1 foot for 1/48th scale thats the best I can help.

OCDoug

Maybe I should have worded it differently. What is the actual size,I know the scale. Is it a small loco or large? It looks big. Thanks Again.

El Loco

Check this thread out  the poster owns one and describes his in comparison to other Bachmann locomotives.

"Got My 2-6-6-2 and caboose" 

jestor

Check out the video of page 3. That might help. You can see the size in relation to the rolling stock. Looks to be in proportion.

ebtbob

OCDoug

These are rough measurements in inches.   Do the math to get scale feet,  1 in + 4 ft.

4-6-0
Overall length,  engine and tender = 13.0 inches
Height,  railhead to top of cab = 3.0 inches
driver size = 1 inch

2-8-0
Overall length,  engine and tender = 12.0 inches
Height,  railhead to top of cab = 3.0 inches
driver size,  could not measure due to outside frame with counterweights

2-6-6-2
Overall length,  engine and tender = 12.5 inches
Height,  railhead to top of cab = 2.5 inches
driver size = 5/8 inch

Again,  all these measurements were just eyeballed with a regular ruler and length does not include couplers.

So,  you can see,  the 2-6-6-2 is small when compared to the 2-8-0 and the 4-6-0.   It really does,  almost seem like it is S scale.   As a matter of fact,  overall except for the size of the cab,  domes,  and headlight,  it is very close in size to the Mantua 2-6-6-2.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

El Loco

Thanks Bob ;) I found this very interesting data.  BTW,  Have you ever heard anything about Micro marks  Digital pull meter? (#84518) from what is in the Nov/Dec 2009  Gazette"new in review" it sounds like a useful tool.  :)

ksivils

"So,  you can see,  the 2-6-6-2 is small when compared to the 2-8-0 and the 4-6-0.   It really does,  almost seem like it is S scale.   As a matter of fact,  overall except for the size of the cab,  domes,  and headlight,  it is very close in size to the Mantua 2-6-6-2."

The prototype was probably used on a railroad the needed very light axle loadings due to track and probably marshy terrain.  This wheel arrangement would spread out the weight pretty well even if this is a smallish locomotive.

The 2-8-0 was pretty big by 30 inch standards and the 4-6-0 was a real 3 ft. locomotive.  This 2-6-6-2 was an actual exported 30 inch locomotive.

OCDoug

Thank You for the help.

ebtbob

EL Loco,

I know nothing about the digital pull meter.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

rayport

Allen Brewster had  photos and drawings of the prototype and the Mantua alternate in the November 1983 MR on pages 126 and 127. The original is reported to have been exactly 27 ft from leading axle to trailing axle; with 33 inch drivers on 36 inch centres.
The boiler is 36 inches in diameter and cylinders are 10" x 16" and 15" x 16". Railhead to top of the cab is 9' 8" The Mantua 2-6-6-2 is stated to be slightly smaller in all dimensions - but not to significant amounts that a modification would not make a reasonable model.
Would be interesting to compare the Bachmann model to a Backwood Miniatures modified model tank engine; they could make a very interesting pair for anyone with logging aspirations.

El Loco

Quote from: ebtbob on December 06, 2009, 07:51:47 AM
EL Loco,

I know nothing about the digital pull meter.

It is a digital meter that attaches to the track hooks up to the locomotive and measures the the maximum amount of weight you can pull / tractive effort.  not sure I would really need a meter to do that but if one is in to the perimeters on exact, it could be interesting  & even fun.
After all we cant have enough toys! ;D

mabloodhound

This link was posted on one of the other threads here and has real good info on the Mallets
http://loggingmallets.railfan.net/list/list.htm
Lots of drawings and dimensions of the prototypes.   Save this one to your favorites.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security