News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dynamis Problem

Started by Rickenbacker 325, December 01, 2009, 05:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickenbacker 325

I got the dynamis for my birthday in April, and for some reason when I try to put new batteries in it it does not turn on.
Can someone help ???   I am clueless :( :(

ABC

Are all the batteries the same type, and are they all the same age with the same amount of juice? If any of these are no than that could be your problem. Or did you drop it or did it fall possibly without you knowing? Or did you store it somewhere like a basement, attic, shed or garage?
And lastly if you bought it from a authorized Bachmann dealer and you still have your receipt, you can send it in for repair.

Pacific Northern

Bachmann's Lifetime Limited Warranty covers motorized units only. Under the warranty, Bachmann can decide whether to repair or replace an item at their discretion.

I do not think the Dynamis is under warranty, the warranty on accessories, power packs and speed controllers is only 90 days. 

Mr. B, would you please confirm if the unit is covered by Lifetime Limited Warranty.
Pacific Northern

Rickenbacker 325

Quote from: ABC on December 01, 2009, 06:59:07 PM
Are all the batteries the same type, and are they all the same age with the same amount of juice? If any of these are no than that could be your problem. Or did you drop it or did it fall possibly without you knowing? Or did you store it somewhere like a basement, attic, shed or garage?
And lastly if you bought it from a authorized Bachmann dealer and you still have your receipt, you can send it in for repair.

The batteries are brand new.  I do keep it in my basement where my layout is.

ABC

Temperatures that are colder or warmer than normal can have an effect on high-tech electrical equipment and things like that. So it could have been damaged by the environment of your basement if it is cold or there is a lot of moisture, and if you didn't run your dehumidifier when necessary that could also pose an issue.

Jim Banner

James:
Is it possible that you put one or more of the batteries in backwards?  Is it possible that one or more of the batteries has exceeded its shelf life (six months to a year for regular carbon-zinc batteries, several years for alkalines)?  Occasionally brand new batteries are dead, whether from sitting on the store shelf for too long or for other reasons.  Did you perhaps decide to switch to rechargeable batteries?  Sometimes the reduction in voltage with Ni-Cd or Ni-MH batteries is enough to make a piece of equipment think the batteries are dead and refuse to turn on.

If your basement is like my basement, it is the most stable room in the house, both in terms of temperature and humidity.  Not that moderate changes in either should affect your command control.  I keep one set in my garden shed year round for running my garden layout.  Summer temperatures up to +60, winter temperatures as low as -40, humidity anywhere from 5% to 100%.  And never a problem.

ABC:
The admonition against mixing batteries of different types, ages and/or different states of charge is to prevent corrosion problems caused by leaking batteries.  Mixing batteries of different types, ages or states of charge has no effect whatsoever on the electronics turning on or not as long as all the batteries produce an acceptable voltage at the load imposed on them.

Bottom line, mixing batteries, none of which are dead, will not invalidate your tests.  But continuing to use them can invalidate your warranty.

Jim  
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

the Bach-man

Dear James,
A brand-new Dynamis would be covered, but I suspect that Jim has hit upon the problem. Check the orientation of the batteries.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Rickenbacker 325

All the batteries are in correctly