News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engine dead but light works

Started by getti, December 02, 2009, 02:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

getti

Help!  I have a Bachmann Narrow Gauge Express (item 25002) steam engine that won't run.  I was given the set used but it looks brand new.  How do I take off the shell to check the wires.  I can see the tab in the back under the cab but I can't tell what's holding onto the front.  It's an On30 scale.
Thank you!

ABC

There is either no such item or it is pretty old because I couldn't find it anywhere on the net.

mabloodhound

Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Jim Banner

Perhaps I am using a different net because I just caught the following description of the Bachmann 25002 set on my first cast:

Comes with 3 coaches (passenger cars) and a 2-6-0 Mogul Steam Locomotive c/w tender.

I just happen to have an 0n30 Mogul in pieces on my work table.  The rear tab you already know about.  Look under the boiler, just at the point where the smoke box and boiler meet.  There is a plate hanging down.  On the rear side of that plate, there is a blind slot.  And on the front of the metal frame, there is a tab that fits into the aforementioned slot.  To take the locomotive apart, first remove the oil lines that go from the boiler down to the tops of the cylinders.  Then pry the back of the cab out slightly so that the slot clears the tab.  Next start working the back of the frame downward.  Once it is down 30o or so, you can slide the frame back to disengage the front tab and slot.  The frame is a tight fit inside the boiler, made all that much worse by paint sticking the two together.  Every time I take one of these apart I find myself wondering if this will be the one that I break.  So far, it has never happened.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ABC

Quote from: Jim Banner on December 02, 2009, 02:03:25 PM
Perhaps I am using a different net because I just caught the following description of the Bachmann 25002 set on my first cast
I put in different search terms probably because I got no pertinent results (at least that's what I thought). But I typed in something more simple and got what you were referring to.

getti

Thanks Jim for the detailed instructions.  I ended up taking to a hobby shop.  I'm supposed to hear back next week.  I hope it's just a simple fix.