News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

CSX 3456 caboose

Started by havnfun, December 01, 2009, 12:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

havnfun

This is my first year into model railroading. I received numerous items of N scale as a gift. I built the maximum size platform I could, then laid track per a model railroad diagram. Since I have items from several manufacturers, I decided to catalog all rolling stock so the engines will be pulling cars of the similar period. I didn't have a caboose in the collection, so I purchased a Bachmann item #70768 (CSX 3456). Can anyone tell me;
    1. Where I can find that this road number (3456) was an actual number used by CSX?
    2. Where can I find the history of this caboose that is, where built, original owner, etc.?

jonathan

You could try rrpicturearchives.net.  There, you can search by roadname, rolling stock type and road number.

Just for fun, I looked up my CSX Caboose (903968).  I found about a dozen photos with captions, listing dates and locations.

I couldn't find #3456.  Other folks more experienced than me, might be able to find that particular caboose.

Of course, there may have never been a 3456 (or 903456).  Sometimes model manufactures don't print a historical roadnumber on their rolling stock.  They do try, though.

Regards,

Jonathan

havnfun

Thank you for the helpful information. I was also hoping that someone from Bachmann would have added a  comment being that the caboose in question is one of their products.

ABC

I checked all over and it appears that a caboose of this number either was never in service for Central Transportation Company or there is no record of it being in service at least anywhere on the internet. I did find a couple pictures of Jonathan's. It may have been in service, but we will truly never know.

the Bach-man

Dear Fun,
It looks to me like a made-up number. I believe most extant CSX cabooses are transfer cabooses, since there are very few road cabooses left on the rails.
Have fun!
the Bach-man