Ho Locomotive coupler broke-how to fix

Started by rako, December 01, 2009, 12:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rako

Hi,I'm helping my 8yr old grandson repair his locomotives(commander set) and don't recall which type of coupler works best.Also,do you remove the entire housing on the loco or just fit a spring part back into it?

ABC

If it is broken beyond repair you can replace it with a Bachman E-Z mate medium shank coupler.

rako

thanks,I already picked up a few EZ couplers but now realize that the holder is either missing the top piece or damaged.If the four holes in the base remove the top assembly,is there a part I can replace or am I stuck?

Jhanecker2

There are books on repair & maintance of model railroad equipment . you may find it necessary to purchase one , this will become an ongoing problem . Also Checkout the Kadee website they manufacture the industry standard couplings and accessories. Most coupler repair does not require the disassembly of the shell to to effect coupler  replace-ment.

rako

:)thanks for the reference.I figured out how to modify the broken holder(got a top piece of plastic and drilled a screw hole to retain the coupler.Works fine except the loco won't power up on the track.Worked fine before I put my hands on it.I'm an electronic engineer and know how to properly handle these kind of devices but don't  what happened.Are there sites that walk you thru troubleshooting?