Need Help with Diagnosing a Problem with a Genesis F-7A with DCC and Sound

Started by Robertj668, December 24, 2009, 02:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robertj668

Merry Christmas Everyone

Well I have a friend at work who is also into model railroading.  He came to me and offered to sell me a Genesis F-7A Freight Engine with DCC and sound. The road name is "Cotton Belt" by the way.  He said take it home and see if I like it and he said he would make me a good deal on the engine.  My price I would offer is still in question as I think the engine has a small problem.

It sounds and runs great for the most part. However I noticed one small problem.  Every once and a while (Not in the same place) it will stop sound and all.  I will then proceed to push or wiggle the engine while on the tracks and it will start up again.  Additionally if I have the engine just sitting there and with sound running I can wiggle it again and it will stop operating.  I think somewhere there is a loose connection somewhere.  But where? I do not want to open this up unless I am going to buy it.

I know where my friend bought it and I know the price he paid ($145)  I am guessing it is a couple years old and it looks great.  I was originally going to offer $100 if it ran perfectly but I was going to offer only $75 in the as is condition.

So I am looking for advice on what to do to fix it. and what to offer him for the  engine as well.  I will add another note this is the only engine that stops on the track like this all of my other engines run fine and do not loose power at all.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Happy Holidays

Robert
PS it is snowing in Texas!!

rich1998

sounds like intermittent pickup. could be dirty track. track may look clean. clean rails with a paper towel that is damp with alcohol. make sure drivers are clean. a little alcohol on a q tip is what I used. others will comment.

lex

Robertj668

Lex

I just cleaned the drive wheels and they sparkle now. When I inspected them the first time the looked just like my other engines. But not I think all engines need a good cleaning.  It is running better now but still stopping from time to time. I am going to clean the track tonight or tomorrow and I hope the combination of the two will help out. 

I also just got the Broadway limited SD40-2 (Which I need help with to but that is another post) and it runs and sounds great with no problems.SO I initially used that as a gauge to see if the track needed attending. 

I guess that  a combination of a slightly dirty track and engine drive wheels could and did effect the performance.

Thanks for reminder of cleaning track and train!

Robert

Robertj668

Update

I cleaned the tracks and cleaned the drive wheels. I took it to the Local Hobby shop. It runs great but for no apparent reason it will still just stop.  I am able to duplicate it while sitting still.
With the engine at idle and not moving (so engine is making sound but not moving) I can wiggle the engine at the wheel area and it will cut out. I should make a little video and demonstrate what I mean.  I think it is the pick ups at the wheels I think it is called the power truck assembly.

Robert