News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

athearn genesis

Started by sp4449, December 05, 2009, 07:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sp4449

i want some athearn genesis locos but idk wat kink of controller to get and i need 1 of and under a budget of 290 dollars

jonathan

If I understand your question, here are some ideas for stretching the dollar.  I bought a Genesis SD70MAC for half MSRP, by picking up a discontinued model (last year's flavor).  The newest model of the SD70 was about to be released, so dealers were looking to unload old stock to make room for the new.

I have picked up Bachmann Spectrum locos, at Train Shows, for nearly half their MSRP.  I bought a P2K SD7 for $50. When first released, these locos had an asking price of around $150.  Again, dealer was trying to make room for new stock.

Needless to say, I like Train Shows and Local Hobby Shops, for great deals.  I'm not a big fan of ebay.  I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it, just my age showing.  I want to touch, see, smell, and taste things I'm about to buy.  I see, your age may prevent you from using on line auction sites anyway, so let's not go there.

I also saved money by starting out DC.  I'm sure I'll switch to DCC someday, but for now, I'm not spending money on decoders, speakers, turnouts with decoders, boosters, etc.

If you want to be a DCC guy,  buy DCC Ready locos (make sure the plug is there).  Then you can easily add decoders and/or sound as you can afford with each loco.

Just some food for thought...

Regards,

Jonathan 

sp4449

thx i think theres a train show comin up near my area but its gonna be really hard to find the athearn genesis UP 844 but yea ill check

jonathan

I see used articulated's at train shows all the time.  I'm not in the market, so I haven't looked real close at manufacturer or roadname. Still I have seen them.  Caveat Emptor ('buyer beware' I think), there won't be a warranty on such an item.  You will be on your own for cost of repairs.

sp4449

yea i no i just need a controller the will make the 844 run and make its sounds

Chris350

Quote from: sp4449 on December 06, 2009, 11:57:37 AM
yea i no i just need a controller the will make the 844 run and make its sounds
The genesis 844 is DC/DCC capable.  It comes with a small wireless remote to operate the sounds.  No additional electronics needed if you are running DC.  I may know where one is on  shelf.  my local shop had two or three 4-84's , I just don't remember if they had an 844.

macbmac1

Hello:
I am a frequent "visitor" to ebay, and have made quite a few purchases.  There are some "very" good deals on new equipment, all manufacturers, which are covered by the factory warranty.  As stated prior, "buyer beware"--I myself stay with the above 98% feedbacks, and have not had any troubles-
Mike
Pahrump, NV

Chris350

My local shop does have a 844 on the shelf.