Christmas Trains/Train Ornaments

Started by panniertankboy8751, December 06, 2009, 11:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panniertankboy8751

We all know that at Christmas time we see those cheap G Gauge Trains underneath peoples Christmas trees on over expensive ornaments on said trees. Anyone got anything to say about either?

rich1998

Quote from: panniertankboy8751 on December 06, 2009, 11:59:15 AM
We all know that at Christmas time we see those cheap G Gauge Trains underneath peoples Christmas trees on over expensive ornaments on said trees. Anyone got anything to say about either?

no

mhampton

A cheap train under the tree probably won't encourage anybody to continue in the hobby, but they can have some value as a seasonal decoration.  I kind of like the Hallmark ornaments that are miniaturized versions of old Lionel trains.  They're a little heavy, but they invoke some fond memories.  I could say something about the value of someone else's comment to your post, but I don't want to start a flame war in this thread.

az2rail

I went the other way. I have "expensive' trains under a tree with "cheap" ornaments.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

panniertankboy8751

Quote from: mhampton on December 06, 2009, 03:19:57 PM

A cheap train under the tree probably won't encourage anybody to continue in the hobby, but they can have some value as a seasonal decoration.  I kind of like the Hallmark ornaments that are miniaturized versions of old Lionel trains.  They're a little heavy, but they invoke some fond memories.  I could say something about the value of someone else's comment to your post, but I don't want to start a flame war in this thread.

Well, not cheap in that sense. I mean like the quality of the locos. Like, the only ones you can basicly find are 0-6-0s and 2-6-0s.

The Hallmarks are pretty good. I have all of them except for 1997's SP 4449 and 1998's Santa Fe F A Unit and the Red MicAurthur/Mikado for this year.

NarrowMinded

It is that cheap train around my childhood Christmas tree that sparked my love of trains and fond memories I still have to this day. remember it takes kindling to start a good fire.

NM

panniertankboy8751

Ok ignore the "Cheap" Comment.

I just wish te sets could be a little more acurate. I was Decorating for Christmas today and found a set. It came with a American Engine and Cars but the destination boards on the station said:

London
Bristol
Wales
Leeds
Liverpool

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

ABC

Quote from: panniertankboy8751 on December 06, 2009, 08:52:23 PM
the destination boards on the station said:
London
Bristol
Wales
Leeds
Liverpool
Those are all fairly large cities across the pond (in Britain).

jettrainfan

trains under the tree never got popular long enough to be called a hobby. The only people who actually watched it were the hobbiest and and kids.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

panniertankboy8751

Quote from: ABC on December 06, 2009, 08:54:44 PM
Quote from: panniertankboy8751 on December 06, 2009, 08:52:23 PM
the destination boards on the station said:
London
Bristol
Wales
Leeds
Liverpool
Those are all fairly large cities across the pond (in Britain).

I know tthat, but the ???s were for it being an ameican train with UK destinations.

mhampton

How about these US cities/towns?

London, KY
Bristol, TN
Wales, UT
Leeds, UT
Liverpool, NY

ebtbob

I guess I have missed the entire reason for this post but let me throw in an observation.
    If a train set is made for an under the tree existence,  what would make you think a manufacturer is going to put a lot of effort into a hobby level of detail and accuracy and be able to price it at a level the average customer is will willing to pay to put something out once a year?
    BTW....over the years here,  there have been any number of threads about Christmas layouts with photos showing some really nice work on the displays.   A lousy trainset can still look good in a decent display.
    Anyway....... Merry Christmas to you all......and I hope you are blessed with the true understanding of the season is all about.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

panniertankboy8751

Quote from: ebtbob on December 07, 2009, 05:59:00 PM
        Anyway....... Merry Christmas to you all......and I hope you are blessed with the true understanding of the season is all about.

Aye, God Bless It!