News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tutorials

Started by terracwc, December 07, 2009, 10:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terracwc

Hello, does anyone know of a good, free downloagable video that would introduce a young first time user of HO trains about the basics such as:
how to couple/uncouple
putting cars on the track
basic wiring
basic troubleshooting

Thanks for any leads.

jonathan

terracwc,

I can't think of any downloadable videos, but when I started out, I received a small book as a gift:

Model Railroader/Kambach, 'Model Railroading, Getting Started in the Hobby'.

Topics covered:  scale, track, tools, benchwork, tracklaying, wiring, couplers, maintenance, scenery, weathering, & photography.  It contains very basic information on every topic one encounters when learning about train modeling.

I read that book over and over again.  It's less than 100 pages (magazine sized), easy to read and understand, and inexpensive (less than $20 US).  Most Hobby shops seem to carry it.  Best of all, there are no pop-ups.

A bit outdated technologically speaking, but there's really useful info inside.

Regards,

Jonathan

Nathan

Is this for a nonprofit organization or school?  If so Kalmbach has 'give a ways' for both model railroading in general and large scale that a group of companies, including Bachmann, help pay for the cost.

You can contact them through the customer service information at:
https://secure.kalmbach.com/customer/help.aspx?siteid=14&pubcode=trn

CNE Runner

I think you have found a real 'need' in our hobby. I am sorry that I don't know of any videos; but I have found this series helpful on YouTube:
It is very amateurish; but well worth seeing.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

terracwc

Thanks everybody,  I am introducing model railroading to a group of 3-10 year olds so I was naturally looking for something with limited vocabulary and no reading yet.  Kind of a visual (very little narrative) show and tell or just show. :D

CNE Runner

Hold the 'phone...CNE Runner has news! I just got off the Model Railroader website and discovered a new series called Model Railroad Expert Tips Video Series. This series seems to be designed for those beginning in the experience of model railroading; but the information is useful to anyone.

I certainly hope this helps your efforts.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"