News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hallmark buildings suitable for "N"?

Started by Ned, December 07, 2009, 08:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ned

Good day:

I have a growing interest in N gauge and was wondering if anyone uses some of the Hallmark Christmas ornament buildings on their layout?

To the naked eye they look like they might work but have not had the opportunity to measure one or to even just place a N loco next to one.

Thank you.

Ned

herc driver

I'm not sure which buildings you mean, but many people use the "two foot" rule, meaning if it looks good to you at two feet then use it.  The real question is how "prototypical" you want your layout or scenery to look...if a slightly oversized or undersized building works for you - then use it.  If you're striving for more scale dimensions, then a little measurement of the Hallmark buildings might be in order.  I've found that mixing and matching buildings in Nscale from various manufacturers can work depending on where and how you use them.  It seems that manufacturers 1:160 scale isn't always the same...though they're supposed to be.  I tried to stick with one building manufacturer to keep the same "look" and dimensional scale throughout the layout, but I also used slightly larger buildings in the front of my layout and slightly smaller scale buildings at the rear to give the illusion of depth and distance.  Maybe those Hallmark buildings would work well close up, or mixed in with other buildings to add some style and variation.

Whatever you think looks good - I'd encourage you to use.  It's your scene and your layout. 

(And I'm going to check into these Hallmark buildings too...thanks for the tip!)