News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

International Warranty

Started by jgambhir, December 07, 2009, 09:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgambhir

Hi All,
I'm planning to buy Bachmann HO, DCC train set via E-Bay. I would like to know if  the train set is covered under warranty (India).  Will I get replacement incase of some faulty part?

Do you have any plans to open stores in India? I really want to buy it  :(

Thank You!

mabloodhound

It really depends on whom you buy from on e-bay.   There is at least one Authorized Dealer for Bachmann on e-bay and he warranties all his items.
But if it is a private seller you may have problems getting service.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Pacific Northern

Quote from: ABC on December 07, 2009, 12:47:30 PM
Even if there were a warranty, it would cost over $150 (American) to send the product back to the United States from India. Bachmann only covers shipping one way if I remember correctly. And I do not think Bachmann would pay $150+ to send it back to you, it just doesn't make sense any way you look at it.

One of the most popular e-bay vendors who is an authorized Bachmann dealer indicates USPS First Class to India for a Spectrum 2-10-2 is $25.00. Obviously this vendor will ship to India, or anywhere else in the world for that matter. This is only for an engine but you would not return an entire train set if there was a problem with the engine.

The Digital Commander HO train set has an indicated postal rate of $76.00 to India

http://cgi.ebay.com/BACHMANN-SPECTRUM-HO-2-10-2-DCC-TRAIN-LOCO-CHICAG-83303_W0QQitemZ200413480533QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item2ea9930655

Pacific Northern

jgambhir

First of all thank you all for your inputs.

I got a reply from - thefavoritespot on Ebay

The items are covered by a factory warranty. The customer deals with any issues directly with the manufacturer. Thank you!

- thefavoritespot

Question: Now will Bachmann provide me with replacement if any part does not work?

I'm ok with one way shipping cost..if required  :(?

Thanks guys!

jgambhir

Pacific Northern

I have purchased many HO items, including engines from this vendor and have been completely satisfied in my dealings.

I did have one item that was damaged in shipment but there was not need to return it for repairs as I contacted Bachmann and they provided me free of charge a replacement part.

The vendor did offer to replace the engine if I wanted but it was not necessary. I would have been responsible for one way shipping no matter who the item was returned to, the manufacturer or the vendor.

There is no way that I would pay the extra cost of "Expedited" shipping, I can wait a few extra days and save that money.
Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

Quote from: ABC on December 07, 2009, 05:22:06 PM
Quote from: Pacific Northern on December 07, 2009, 04:53:02 PM
There is no way that I would pay the extra cost of "Expedited" shipping, I can wait a few extra days and save that money.
That is the standard rate for UPS, it has expedited in its name, but it is their standard international shipping service.
And I have dealt with the favorite spot on many occasions and have never had a problem. So, at the very least you would be out a minimum of $30 for one way shipping. I still wonder if Bachmann would cover the $30 shipping to send it back to India. You can buy a brand new spectrum loco for less than $60 too, so you might as well buy a new one.

What about when the engines are $150.00? Spectrum steamers with sound. You end up with a new replacement engine.
Pacific Northern

ABC

The catch is that you do not get to pick what type of engine it is or the road name and the people are usually not an authorized Bachmann dealer, so you would technically be the 2nd owner. And you do not get to pick what time you buy it. Basically if you constantly monitor ebay, and wait long enough one will come by. The problems with this are that now it is time for Christmas shopping, so the prices on things like this may be in higher demand and the prices might reflect that. And a lot of the times the item ends at like 4:00 in the morning, and if you bid any sooner than the last couple seconds then you will certainly lose the item.
Here are three examples:    
HO Bachmann 2-8-0 CP #3716 w/DCC & Sound
6 Bids Sold $76.01Dec-05 08:43  http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=dcc+sound+2-8-0&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=220&_okw=dcc+sound+2-8-0&_oexkw=&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&LH_IncludeSIF=1&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=Zip+code&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=2&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_rdc=1

or    
http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=tsunami&_sacat=19132&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_sop=2&LH_IncludeSIF=1&_dmpt=Model_RR_Trains&_dmd=1&LH_Complete=1&_odkw=sound&_osacat=19132
Fabulous N&W Class J, 4-8-4 with DCC and Tsunami Sound!
6 Bids Sold $81.00 Dec-03 17:38
or   
BACHMANN HO 81906 3-Truck Shay Cass Scenic - REAL SOUND
1 Bids Sold $39.99 Nov-24 13 (shipping was $20)

The trouble is that the seller is different almost every time.

Also the links have the item it is referring to first on the list.

the Bach-man

Dear JG,
If you buy it from an authorized US dealer we will warrant it.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

ABC

Quote from: the Bach-man on December 07, 2009, 11:11:52 PM
Dear JG,
If you buy it from an authorized US dealer we will warrant it.
Have fun!
the Bach-man
Thanks for clearing that up Mr. Bachmann, I appreciate it.

Jim Banner

Quote from: ABC on December 07, 2009, 07:13:32 PM
The catch is that you do not get to pick what type of engine it is or the road name and the people are usually not an authorized Bachmann dealer, so you would technically be the 2nd owner.

I am not quite sure what you are trying to say here.  I see lots of similar locomotives listed with many different paint schemes.  The ones that are not the locomotive I want in the scheme I want just don't exist as far as my bidding strategy is concerned.  All three of the locomotives you linked to are pre-owned and this is clearly stated in their descriptions.  Two of them are used as well.  None of these sellers make any attempt to mislead you into thinking you will have any warranty.

The Shay you refer to has sound which is probably not Tsunami on top of being used.  There is some doubt about the seller's reputation and he is selling it "as is" with no guarantee that it will work on receipt.  Would I pay $60 plus whatever extra he charges to ship to Canada? Or would I pay $175 (including shipping) for a brand new one, with warranty, and with genuine Tsunami decoder on board?  While $80 f.o.b. Canada would be mighty tempting, having to shell out another $125 for a genuine Tsunami decoder to replace what is probably a generic decoder would put the price over $200 and I would still have a used locomotive with no warranty and no guarantee that it even runs.  eBay has some good deals, but the lowest price is not always the best deal. 

Did you notice that the winning bid on many of these locomotives was made hours or days before the end of the auction?  These were bids placed by experienced buyers who knew what the item was worth and bid accordingly.  An item with a MSRP over $300 may be reasonable at $150, a good deal at $125 and a real bargain at $100.  Bidding $50 three hours before the auction ends will almost undoubtedly lead to disappointed and unhappiness about last minute bidders.  Bidding $125 three days before the end of the auction will likely get the item and you still have a good deal.  And it may well get you the item for $101, a real bargain price, even if a last minute sniper bids $100 fifteen seconds before the auction ends.  As for auctions that end in the middle of the night, I love them.  Not too many people will be bidding against you in the last few minutes and you have an excellent chance of getting the item for a real bargain price.

Gee - it looks like I've given away all my secrets.  I guess there will be no more winning auctions for me!

Jim   
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ABC

Others have had tsunamis in them and been listed as new and occasionally with a warranty, but as I said with Christmas coming the prices of those start at around $90.00-$100.00
QuoteThe catch is that you do not get to pick what type of engine it is or the road name and the people are usually not an authorized Bachmann dealer, so you would technically be the 2nd owner.
I am not quite sure what you are trying to say here.  I see lots of similar locomotives listed with many different paint schemes.
What I am trying to say is this...Say you are a fan of B&O and NYC, but the problem is the loco that you can get for $75.00 is Santa Fe and it is not a road you like very much. So as long as you are willing to repaint the engine I guess there is no problem, but if that isn't for you then you have a Santa Fe loco. The frequency of locos selling for $80 or less is very small and of those, they are typically not a popular road name, but if you like some of the less popular roads this is good for you.

Here's another, it sold for $90.00 and was warranted through The Favorite Spot.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SPECTRUM-HO-2-10-0-DCC-TSUNAMI-SOUND-TRAIN-BLACK-84301_W0QQitemZ370295313181QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item563752131d

Jim Banner

Did you also notice that this bidder entered his winning bid 10 hours before the end of the auction?

I wonder if the low price was because the front of the smoke box was missing in the photos?  I suspect the canny buyer will be making a warranty claim the day he receives it.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ABC

Yes, I noticed the winning bid time, if it works that's fine. But as for the smoke box, in the undecorated version of the Russian Decapod does not have one on the loco out of the factory, but it is included. Because I believe there are 2 different smoke boxes for the 2-10-0, so you put on the one that is accurate for your railroad.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: ABC on December 08, 2009, 11:43:38 PM
Yes, I noticed the winning bid time, if it works that's fine. But as for the smoke box, in the undecorated version of the Russian Decapod does not have one on the loco out of the factory, but it is included. Because I believe there are 2 different smoke boxes for the 2-10-0, so you put on the one that is accurate for your railroad.

You are right, I have a few of the unlettered 2-10-0's and they came with two smoke box covers as well as numberous headlights and bells. These parts are packaged in a seperate plastic bag, which obviously is missing. However, if you already have an unlettered Spectrum 2-10-0 you will have a spare already.

What you have posted is interesting, it certainly is not representative of typical prices paid by purchasers of Spectrum steam engines with factory sound.

As far as roadnames it is very easy to change roadnames with decal remover and an ink eraser.
Pacific Northern