News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tender capacity of 2-6-6-2 question

Started by Heave, December 06, 2009, 04:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heave

I was examining Baldwin docs related to export 2-6-6-2 similar to the model that is arriving from Bachmann.

These docs show a capacity of 6 ton coal and 5000 gal water.

How much work (How many tons can be pulled?) can you do with the 2-6-6-2?

How long (In real time) can you last on one tender load of coal and water?

About how far in terms of a round trip can you make in mileage before having to restock the coal/wood/Oil and water?

To throw a big wrench into those of you so inclined, if wood (Oak) is 1089 pounds of wood equal to 600 pounds of coal in terms of energy, is there enough capacity on the tender to carry wood equal to 6 ton of coal by volume>?

Shows what a few hours spent on steam information as understood in Colonial times by those seeking to bring Steam to the USA.

I have found threads dealing with the Big Boy and it's massive coal/water consumption via google on trains dot com but cannot scale down to the small 2-6-6-2.

When I am trying to feed, water, sand and maintain operations around one of these models on the layout what else should I consider?

Finally I am trying to understand the different stacks with the model. The one I ordered happens to have a Diamond stack. (#28701) will there be other options for stacks included?

Heave

No answers?

How often do you need to feed and water a choo choo and how far can you pull a train with it?

There. Simple, edited for clarity.

richande

I can't really say about the 2-6-6-2 , but in the steam days at least up & down California, coal & water stops were about 40 miles apart, I've been told.

Cheers,

Rich

El Loco

good question ??? inquiring minds want to know ;)

Heave

I have seen Strasburg railroad fill the tender with water every trip out and coal in the morning. But that was a long time ago on the old 4-4-0 (1223) and the number 90 (2-10-0) a long time ago. The distance traveled would be about 10 miles round trip over about less than a hour.

Cass would not leave until they have stuffed every bit of fuel and water they could carry because essentially they are going just about straight up and straight down. Those grades were something to remember. The problem is I was too young to remember how far they traveled in a round trip.