News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engines

Started by tender1, December 08, 2009, 10:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tender1

Hello I would like to add an engine to my new set, it is the Overland Limited set up.

What would be a good engine to get the GP35, EMD SD40-2, or the B23-7/ B30-7
Thanks Tender1

ebtbob

Good Morning,

Remember the most important rule about this hobby.....it is for fun.   That being said,   you wallet is the next most important incredient.   After that,  just find something that is appealing to you make the buy.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

CNE Runner

I have to agree with Bob...you are only limited by the size of your wallet. Having said that: It looks like the Overland Limited is a freight consist? Railroads like to match the motive power to the job at hand. In other words, one would not expect to see a Dash 9 in routine switching duty (this would be analogous to driving a brad with a sledgehammer).

A GP35 is a good [fairly] light duty road switcher. This means it is powerful enough to handle relatively short trains - yet be light enough to do most switching. Using that analogy, the SD-40-2 is a little big for the job. Remember railroads are looking to keep costs low...it is a matter of efficiency.

In summary, do some research on the locomotives you have picked out. Get some idea of the role your engine is to play (or at least the majority of the time). Now match the locomotive to the task.

On the other hand: We are playing with electric trains...it is your world to do what you wish.

Good luck,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

noncngdriver

Ray, U R the man! I'm just starting out and I'm doing alot of homework. Looking @ this and that, and asking alot af questions B4 I buy my 1st set or even a piece of track! U ade it short, quick, and easy! My name is Aaron, and I want 2 ask a quick question. Moost of the cheap sets, on the market 2 day, do the makes set the engines up to pull what that engine would have? Or do they just make it look pretty?

Thank you,
                                                    Aaron
I hope and pray that as we play, we remember that we should always have funn!!! If U can't have funn there's no need 2 play or stay a child @ heart! God bless and have funn w Ur choo choo!!!

Daylight4449

lets put it like this. some sets are fine, the spectrum passenger sets being good. but some are just odd. tell me, when was the last time you saw 2 locomotives working on 4 cars, 2 none of them even the same type. this is just to be "Pretty" as you put it.

ABC

Speaking in generalities, the locomotives that come in train sets aren't very good. Exceptions would be any sets containing the Spectrum 2-8-0 w/DCC, the Cavalier which has a N&W class J, the Acela Express, the digital commander FTA and GP-40 are decent too. Generally avoid sets with lower prices, you get what you pay for. The old life-like sets had locomotives that could even make it once around a 36" diameter circle. Avoid sets like these, ones that cost about $75 or less usually do not perform that well. Also avoid setting it up on the carpet because that has a detrimental effect on the locomotive.

jward

a little about the locomotives you mentioned:

the gp35 was produced for about 2 1/2 years in the mid 1960s, it was quickly made obsolete by the gp40. in its day it was top of the line motive power, but didn't age well. by the mid 1980s they were starting to be retired and scrapped. there are still quite a few running to-day, but most are in light duty service.

the sd40-2 was one of the most popular locomotives, almost every major railroad had them or one of its variants. they were considered by many to be the most reliable diesel ever. still in mainline service on many railroads. built from 1972 to 1986. as i type this, 2 sd40-2s are pushing a heavy train by my apartment.....

the b23-7, and its bigger brother b30-7, were produced from 1977 to the mid 1980s. the b23-7 was fairly common, having sold to many railroads. the b30-7 was concentrated on a couple of rialroads, mainly the chessie system/csx and southern pacific. not sure what they were like when brand new, but by the time i worked for the railroad about 2000, the b23-7s were among the most dispised locomotives we had.by that time they were prone to all sorts of mechanical failures, and, like many GE locomotives, often shot flames out the stack. now THAT would be interesting to model......

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CNE Runner

Never, never, never, NEVER run a train on carpeting!!!!!!!!!!! As some of you know, my wife and I sell Lionel/MTH/K-Line/Williams trains and the major task I have (before offering a piece for sale) is to clean the carpet/dust/pet fur out of motors, wheels and gearing...followed by lubrication.

Having put some thought to this conundrum, I think I would recommend the good old GP38-2. This locomotive can be likened to the mosquito...they are found everywhere. These are great road switchers and can be MU'd together for longer consists (within reason). Our local rail line has 2 well used GP38-2s that haul freight from Gadsden, AL to/from Guntersville, AL. I have even seen a commuter line that uses them for passenger transport.

Just a thought,
Ray

Robertj668

Ray
Not that we do this anymore,  but when my 6yr old son got his 1st train set he ran it on the carpet.  The reason why I allowed him to do it was that we used the Bachmann EZ Track. If there a difference.  I though that it would be okay. 

I would love an you opinion on that.

Robert

PS tender1 Thanks for letting borrow your post to ask this question.

the Bach-man

Dear Robert,
EZ Track will, in fact, allow you to run on carpet, but a real layout is certainly the goal!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Robertj668

To the Bach Man
Thank You.  We have a new table built it is "U" shaped.  But we have extra track and my son love to make little "carpet layouts" with his friends.  Oh of course he can only use certain engines and cars!

Robert

Jim Banner

May I stick my nose in and give my opinion of E-Z Track?  If it hasn't completely eliminated the rug fiber and pet hair problem, it has gone a very long way toward it.  I base that on two observations:

(1) in years gone by, our model railroad group would have lots of parents looking for help to get Junior's train running again.  This usually peaked around the end of January.  Almost invariably, it turned into a lesson on removing fiber/hair from axles, replacing oil that had been sucked out by the fiber/hair, and explaining why Junior really should not be setting up his tracks on the broadloom.  Starting about 10 years ago when based track started appearing in train sets, that part of our group's operation has dropped off to virtually nothing.

(2) some years ago, I ran a train with a brand new locomotive on E-Z Track set on the rug for the Christmas Season.  When I took it down, I disassembled the locomotive and checked it out with a magnifying glass.  The wheel bushings were not absolutely clean, but there were no pieces of fiber or hair wrapped around the axles.  Only one of my two dogs is a shedder, but he seems to shed enough hair for both of them.  Still, no hair.

An often unrecognized benefit of E-Z Track if used on a carpet is that not only does it protect the train from the carpet, it also protects the carpet from the train.  We often fail to realize that a model train, even a new one, sheds some amount of dirt and oil.  One year we had some feedback about a dark ring developing on a light (or white?) rug months after Christmas.  Turned out it was 3 feet in diameter and was in the corner of the room where the Christmas tree had been.  The suspicion was that it was a trace of oil left by the train.  Over several months it had gathered enough dust out of the air to become visible.  E-Z Track would have avoided the problem completely.

Jim

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Robertj668

Jim
Thank you too. I was a little embarrassed to admit at first we do still run the trains for fun as for fear of being scolded.  But admittedly we still do.  It keeps the son happy with his friends and keeps me happy so I can work on the trains on the trains board.
Robert

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Robertj668 on December 11, 2009, 12:19:20 AM
Jim
Thank you too. I was a little embarrassed to admit at first we do still run the trains for fun as for fear of being scolded.  But admittedly we still do.  It keeps the son happy with his friends and keeps me happy so I can work on the trains on the trains board.
Robert

Heck, I'm 51 years old and the main reason I run model trains is for fun.  ;D ;)

CNE Runner

Robert - I (reluctantly) have to agree with Jim and others about carpet running. Most of the trains we sell are older models that predate EZtrack-type units. I have run my 224E on MTH ballasted track and have had no problems with fibers. However, my wife and I make sure the under-tree-area is spotlessly clean. We haven't run the Christmas tree layout in years because of the noise (plus I rapidly get tired of seeing the engine chasing its tail for hours).

In summary: These are toys and are meant to be enjoyed. If you want to run your trains on carpet, or EZtrack, or outdoors...go for it. Some folks think removing a car/locomotive from its box is a sin. To each his own.

Regards,
Ray