The need for Auto Reverse (in DCC)

Started by mikec069, December 08, 2009, 05:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikec069

I've been reading the threads about auto reverse and most, if not all, talked about returning to the same turnout at the end of the reverse process.
My layout is as follows.  An outer oval of 22" with a section of track that cuts across the oval so that if the train is going clockwise to start the crossing then on the other side it will be going counterclockwise.  There is also an inner oval of 18" with an almost parallel crossing.
Point being the trains do not end the reverse at the same point as when they started.  Do I still need the auto-reverse parts to accomplish.  I know it can be done by making a DPT? switch, but THAT is not possible. 

Thanks to you all.
MikeC

ABC

Yes you still need to reverse your polarity, when it enters/exits the reversing section, either with an auto reversing unit or a manual switch that you throw each. You need to isolate the track crossing in the middle of your layout from the rest of your track. If you do not use any polarity reversing mechanism you will have a short circuit and everything will stop.