News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Starting a new layout

Started by jdmike, November 25, 2009, 08:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdmike

I am preparing to start a new layout over the winter months.  I am restricted to a 4x8 layout size due to room size and constraints.  I found a track plan I am happy with using Bachmann's Ez Track.  I plan to use DCC turnouts for the whole layout and control it with a Dynamis system.  I am a lone operator, I will run one around the ouside loop and then switch over to the smaller engine for in the inside loop.   I have several steam engines, 1 is a Bachmann NKP Berkshire that is getting a Tsunami installed along with working mars light, other 2 are older PFM Brass imports that will get a Tsunami soon.  I am hoping to not repower the brass, they both pull less than 1amp at full stall and are as quiet running as the new Bachmann.  Both have genuine Pittman DC70x motors in them.  One is a Berkshire and the other is a USRA Mikado that I redetailed to NKP 587 as she was in 1954 with mars light and flying numberboards.  Havent decided on the exact industres for each siding yet.   The idea is to get a general feel of the NKP around the Tipton/Kokomo area in 1954.  Probably set the season in mid fall with the trees ablaze in colors and a crisp nip in the autum air.   Here is the track plan I found.  I may modify the sidings slightly as I progress.  Right now I am in the aquiring phase, will hopefully get the benchwork up soon.  Havent deceided on what style benchwork yet, looking for cheap and lightweight.  I also cannot get a full 4x8 sheet of anything from the hall to the train room.   Hall and doorway is to narrow.   

jward

you are going to have trouble with this layout as drawn. that crossover at the top left between the inner and outer tracks contains a wicked s curve, as has been discussed on this forum repeatedly. probablky the easiest workaround is to leave it out entirely, replacing the switches with straight track. other than that the layout should work well.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

pdlethbridge

Are the PFM engines DCC ready? That is, Are there 2 wires on the motor, one for each brush? Or is one brush grounded to the frame? If it only has a single wire, they will have to be remotored. The motor must be totally isolated from the frame or it will cause decoder failure.

CNE Runner

Your track plan is reminiscent of those plans that were popular during the late 1950s and 1960s...we used to call them 'spaghetti bowl layouts' because of the copious track work. That S-turn jward alludes to is going to give you fits...trust me as I've been there and done that. Also, there doesn't seem to be much 'real estate' left for scenery and structures. However, if you are satisfied with the plan, then go for it. Keep us informed of your progress.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jdmike

I do plan to remove the left set of crossover turnouts and just leave the single set that is more toward the right side.  I dont like the turnouts that close to a curve as when traveling in a facing point direction, the pilot trucks on steam engines will pick the points due to Bachmann's design of the point rail not fitting flush into the running rail.   Both of my brass steam engines and the new Bachmann Berkshire will pick the point rail.  The PFM engines were made in the early 60's, long before DCC was thought of.  They have to get thier motors isolated (nylon screw and capton tape), then have a decoder hardwired with jumper wire with disconnects from the engine to the tender.  Miniatronics make nice disconnect cables from engine to tender.   Then its just programing, setting up the lighting for 1.5vt bulbs and one as a Mars light.  Setting the whistle to the closest thing they have on there.   Need to find out what whistles the NKP Berkshires, and 587 have.   

hotrainlover

jdmike,
I would install a CURVED turnout on the loop, at the left side.  That way you could use it as a passing track; also.  Just make sure it is not too close to the original area.

Joe Satnik

Dear jdmike,

Replace the upper left (LH) crossover with straights. 

Replace the bottom (RH) crossover with the (removed) upper left (LH) crossover, but move it to the left 1 straight section

to eliminate the "S" curve coming off the inner oval crossing over to the outer oval. 

Trust me, you'll like having a RH and a LH crossover between ovals, not both RH. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jward

you can do a couple of things to help eliminate the locomotives picking the blunt ends of the switch points. the first thing i would try is to block the point open with a popsicle stick, then gently file the point to eliminate the blunt end. this works well with any brand, as most commercial switches have points that are blunt on the ends... ideally, you'd bevel the top and end to a gentle angle that would alow the wheel flange to steer away from the point.

the second thing you can do is a little more tricky. you grasp the rail just ahead of the point in a pair of pliers and give it a gentle twist. the idea here is to put a little offset in the rail just before the point, so that the point sits back in the offset, and the rail steers the wheel flange away from the point. to see what i mean, take a careful look at a real full size switch, and you'll see the offset.

those of us who build our own switches notch the rail where the point fits against it, to accomplish the same thing. but that's hard to do on premade switches.

the idea here is "hide the point"....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jdmike

Thats kind of the plan, to file the tip of the point rail to better blend in with the running rail, its really only an issue where the point rails are right after coming out of a curved piece of track and the pilot truck flange is against the inside rail flange due to the way a model steam engine tracks thru a curved section, doesnt matter if its 22 or 18 radius curves.  A 4 wheel pilot truck does ok, its the 2 wheel pilot truck that likes to pick the turnout.  Cheers   Mike

rick1127

Mike,

I am building the same track plan w/the EZ Track.  Have just about everything except two RH cross overs and the second set of LH.  While inside scenery maybe limited I like the ablity to run two (2) trains, and with the blocking I think I can do run a third switch loco in the switch yard.  By the way I started with a 4x8 table but have added 6" inches alond one side.  With out it is really tight, track runns right on the edge.
Rick Cohoon
Cape Cod MA.
Rick.Cohoon@comcast.net

hawkijoe62

Mike,
      I ran across the same plan and I am using EZ track and wanted to use two diesels but I have DC rather than DCC.   I have used EZ track for a couple of years to run holiday sets for visiting grandkids and I have old Atlas Selectors and Controllers.   I am familiar with the Atlas wiring system but haven't found anything about wiring blocks for two diesel operation using the EZ track.   Can you (or any other member) point me in the direction of a source/book for wiring blocks with EZ track?
      Are you using the crossover of the EZ track on the lower right corner of the layout?

Thanks,   Hawkijoe 62