Compatiblity with 220v power system

Started by jgambhir, December 08, 2009, 02:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgambhir

HI All,
Thanks for answering my warranty queries, I'm going to purchase DCC train via Ebay in India but wanted to make sure that it supports 220v input?

Does it come with universal adapter?  If not than what is the workaround, can I use an adapter that converts 220v to 110v 50hz ?

Cheers!

Jim Banner

If it is just the locomotive or train you are buying, then I assume you already have a DCC system that works off 220 volts.  Whether a DCC system is designed to run off 220 volt 50 Hz or off 120 volts 60 Hz, the DCC signal and power it puts on the tracks is the same.

However, if you were talking about buying a North American DCC system off eBay, or even a train set that included a DCC system, then you would either have to use a transformer to change the voltage coming out of your wall plug from 220 to 120 volts, or you would have to purchase a power supply that works on your voltage. 

For example, the Bachmann E-Z Command runs off a power supply that produces 1 amp at 18 volts ac.  If you buy an E-Z Command in North America, it comes with a "wall wart" transformer (looks like a large, heavy plug on the end of a wire.)  When you plug this wall wart into a 120 volt outlet, it produces 18 volts at 1 amp to run the E-Z Command.  If you bought an E-Z Command in the UK, it would come with a transformer that plugs into their 220 volt wall outlets and provides 18 volts at 1 amp to run the E-Z Command.  If you bought a North American E-Z Command, it would come with the 120 volt to 18 volt, 1 amp transformer and would have to replace just the transformer with a 220 volt to 18 volt, 1 amp one.  Don't worry about the 50 Hz versus 60 Hz - that only affects the transformer, not the E-Z command itself.

That is the advantage of having the transformer separate from the command station.  Not all DCC system do this so be aware of what you are buying.  As I said before, you can alternately use a transformer to lower your voltage down to 120 volts, then use the 120 volt power supply that comes with or is built into your system, but you will reduce its power output because the power supply that comes with it or is built in it is rated for 60 Hz, not 50 Hz.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Heave

I am thinking also here is a possibility that you will have adapter issues with American Plugs into Overseas outlets.

I will argue that 50 hertz in overseas nations a danger to American electric motors made to run on 60 hertz.

I will shut up now. The only 240 volt here in our home feeds the dryer and off our generator with a hell of alot of power available.

Jim Banner

Heave,
You are absolutely correct that 50 Hz can be bad news for 60 Hz motors.  As I mentioned above, it is also bad news for 60 Hz transformers.  Fortunately, none of this affects the motors in our model locomotives as the 50 or 60 Hz has been turned into dc or DCC before it gets to them.

Plugs are generally less of a problem.  If all else matches, you can often cut off the plug and install a new one purchased locally.  With electronic items like an E-Z Command, you can usually change just the power source (transformer, power pack, etc.) for a local one with a compatible plug and a suitable output.

Much (all?) of Europe uses 220 volt, 50 Hz but it seems like very country has its own style of plugs.  One result is that many plugs get replaced every time someone moves.  Another is that there are adapters for just about every conceivable combination.  We don't see them here because they are of no use here.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.