News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

worth it or not

Started by full maxx, December 08, 2009, 08:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

just wondering if this is a good buy or not... I did the math and its about $75 bucks cheaper than retail and free shipping... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380168059766&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

jward

if that's what you want then go for it.

i've checqued out their prices on locomotives, though, and on those they seem to be close to list price. i've gotten new locomotives for under half what they charge at train shows. and yes, the same locomotives they are listing.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

full maxx

are there any great deals on track that I might not know about
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

ABC

Yes, if you are willing/needing to buy 50 or 100 of a given piece of track.

full maxx

Quote from: ABC on December 08, 2009, 09:50:23 PM
Yes, if you are willing/needing to buy 50 or 100 of a given piece of track.
please explain

jward

common track sections such as 9" straights and 18" radius curves can often be bought in bulk for alot less than buying them by the package.

also, roadbed track such as ez track and atlas true track is alot more expensive than track without the roadbed. and the selection of available pieces is far greater on regular track. if you intend on permanently fastening your track down, buying track without the roadbed is something i'd seriously consider.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

full maxx

well we just got the explorer New York Express set which comes with the ez track , so I already have a 63 by 45 oval and I just want to add to it for Christmas morning , its for my little boy ... making a permanent layout will come later , I just want the wow factor on the 25th...maybe enough to make a somewhat bigger set up for the magic morning

ABC

Well he'd be  :o wow'd with 100 9" straights, that is 900 more inches or 75 additional feet of track. They even sell the 36" straights in packs of 50 and 25, which is up to 1800 more inches or 150 additional feet of track.
Here's a link for BACHMANN HO EZ TRACK 25 PCS 36" STRAIGHT TRACK 44584
Ended:   Dec 05, 200919:14:23 PST
Bid history:   17 bids
Winning bid:   US $130.00   
http://cgi.ebay.com/BACHMANN-HO-EZ-TRACK-25-PCS-36-STRAIGHT-TRACK-44584_W0QQitemZ350286963684QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item518ebae3e4

Pacific Northern

Quote from: full maxx on December 08, 2009, 08:49:25 PM
just wondering if this is a good buy or not... I did the math and its about $75 bucks cheaper than retail and free shipping... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380168059766&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

That is not a bad price at all. For the 48 pieces that works out to just over $2.27 per track with shipping extra.

Note the box of 50 straight track that went on auction for $130.00 equates to $2.60 plus shipping
Pacific Northern

ABC

Quote from: Pacific Northern on December 08, 2009, 11:11:50 PM
That is not a bad price at all. For the 48 pieces that works out to just over $2.27 per track with shipping extra.
Note the box of 50 straight track that went on auction for $130.00 equates to $2.60 plus shipping
What type of math are you doing? The track being sold is 36" straight sections, which is the equivalent of four 9" straights. And it was for a box of 25 pieces not 50. So 130 divided by (4 times 25), so 130 divided by 100 equals $1.30 a piece. And he will usually give you a good deal on shipping, and if you bought something else it would work out nicely. But, the track for sale that Fullmaxx located isn't a bad deal, but this is a much better deal.

Jim Banner

Quote from: ABC on December 08, 2009, 11:39:29 PM
What type of math are you doing? The track being sold is 36" straight sections, which is the equivalent of four 9" straights. And it was for a box of 25 pieces not 50. So 130 divided by (4 times 25), so 130 divided by 100 equals $1.30 a piece.

I cannot see any problem with Pacific Northern's math.  Fifty pieces of track for $130 is indeed $2.60 per piece, no matter what kind of math you are using.  Just because neither you nor I am aware of what auction he may be talking about, or even if he is talking about an auction, has absolutely nothing to do with the correctness of his math.

I believe you owe Northern Pacific an apology for an unwarranted attack on his math skills.

full maxx,
It strikes me as a pretty reasonable deal, particularly with free shipping.  My only reservation is that it might have more curves and less straights than your present needs, but then again, there is always future expansion to consider as well.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ABC

He's was referring to my link to a completed auction for 25 pieces of 36" straight track for $130.00. The he was taking the price per piece out of context by dividing by 50, which was wrong because it's a box of 25 pieces and there are four 9" straights in one 36" straight. Technically it would be $5.20 a piece, but for comparison to 9" pieces, it is $1.30 for every 9 inches of track. Compared to $2.27 for every 9 inches of track in the auction full maxx referenced.

Jim Banner

ABC,
You may think he is referring to your link, but he certainly does not say so.  If I said that someone bought 100 pieces of track at auction for $130, would that mean I was referring to your link?  Careful reading and consideration might lead you to realize that while the price was similar, the number of pieces purchased was not.

But all of that is just a red herring.  It was not his referring or not referring to your link that was the problem.  It was your disparagement of his math skills, which were perfectly fine.  Even if he was referring to your link and got the number of pieces wrong, his math was still correct.  Any way you cut it, 50 pieces for $130 is still $2.60 per piece.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jbsmith

looks like a good deal.
It also looks like you are getting the hang of bargain hunting for this stuff!