News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Varney Dockside Switcher

Started by jonathan, December 09, 2009, 05:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

Personally I'd be worried to find a puddle of zamak in the oven after heat treating the paint.

Jim Banner

No fear, PD.  Zamac doesn't melt until it is over 700o F.  Even a self cleaning oven doesn't make it that high.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jonathan

Thanks, Jim.  It's good to know if nothing else, I did no damage.

OK, this will be my last update before Xmas.

I made a step from L-shaped styrene (scrap).  I also made mounting brackets by shaping and cutting a little wire, which was epoxied to the old brackets.  I will show these pics, but please remember, these are VERY small pieces, so it will look at little rough up close:

I have since put a little primer on the step and will paint soon.

While we're at it, here's a little case I modified from a Model Power Truck case:

Now I have some place to keep her when I'm not showing off my meager skills.

Regards,

Jonathan

PS, watching the paint dry on the second coat:

pdlethbridge

the step looks great! Are you going to paint the bell brass?

jonathan

CNE Runner

I don't know about the rest of you, but my opinion of Jonathan is that he is one clever guy. His photography is excellent, his posts are well written and concise (something with which I 'occasionally' have a problem), and his work is done to the highest level. Jonathan, it is too bad you live so far up in 'Yankeeland'. I would love to have someone, of your caliber, living in our town...just think of what I could learn.

Happy Holidays - and thanks for sharing this informative thread,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jonathan

Thanks, Ray.  Coming from Minnesota, I think I've reached about as far into the deep South as I can get. ;)

I don't know about all my skills, but I will say that everything I am doing to bring this little switcher to life I learned by reading this forum... the whole forum.  The knowledge base and experience that is freely shared on "Ask the Bach Man" is a treasure house to enjoy for all ages.

Jonathan

ebtnut

Jonathan:  Great work.  Keep it up! :D  Best wishes for the holidays.  Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

jonathan

All,

Just want to take a moment to publicly thank Woody.  He sent me crosshead guides, crossheads, driver and side rods, rivets and screws.  I am now adding those pieces.  Those rivets are so incredibly tiny!  I fashioned a rivetool by filing the end of a track nail, as smooth as I could.  It worked, but I am nervous about how well my rivet job will hold.  Time will tell.  I will order extra rivets, and a proper rivetool, when the valve gear becomes available.

The rear screw seems long enough to support the valve gear connection, too.

Thanks again, Woody!  The new parts look great!

Still waiting on the decals from Yardbird...

Regards,

Jonathan

Woody Elmore

Jon - thanks for the nice posting. I know you'll be putting those parts to good use.

And, yes, the rear screw and bushing assembly is designed to allow for an eccentric crank - that's a part of the valve gear, not my neighbor!

Merry Christmas to all - I hope Santa Claus is good to everyone.

jonathan

First the good news...

The motor and decals arrived today!

Now the bad news...

I haven't got a clue which tab to connect to the left side (wire), nor do I know where to connect to the frame (right side).

Please rescue me from my ignorance.

Merry Christmas!

Jonathan

Tim

Jonathan

Connect the red one (lower tab in your photo) to the frame, and the upper blue
one to the wiper assembly.   

With plus on the right hand rail, the loco should go forward.
If it runs in reverse, simply reverse the motor connections.

If you are planning on DCC the orange wire goes to the motor tab that is
currently connected to the right hand rail.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

jonathan

Tim,

Thank you, sir!  Too close to Christmas to complete... but I'm getting close!

Venite Adoramus!

Sincerely,

Jonathan

BestSnowman

I hope you shoot a video of this thing moving when you get it all hooked up. Looks like its gonna be a fine little loco!
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

jonathan

Apparently, there is a short video mode on my wife's camera. If/When everthing is ready, I'll give the moving pictures a try.  I'm trying to set up a little Varney train for the loco to pull.  I have three gondolas, two hoppers, and a Caboose that are all Varney.  That would be very rewarding, if I can pull it off.  Should have the motor running in the morning.  Still have lots of work to do on the shell: decal, dullcote glazing, lights, engineer, etc.

Regards,

Jonathan