News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ebay wars on On30 stock.

Started by Heave, December 09, 2009, 12:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heave

There seems to be a bit of price war on Ebay over On30 stock.

Several On30 rolling stock seem to be bidding up nicely while others are being sold at buy it now prices 1/3 retail.

Am I alone in thinking that we are seeing a sort of "Dumping" of On30 stock or perhaps a shift away from current Bachmann On30 into a yet to be determined future?

I worry about this because I am just now getting into On30 and would hate to see that everyone has stopped selling On30 and moved on to something else.

ossygobbin

nothing new,, happens all the time.

El Loco

What are the "Hot" items if you dont mind me asking?

mabloodhound

On30 is going to be around a long time
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Heave

I was seeing the old Camp Cars which retail for more than 50 dollars each selling for about 15-22 dollars. Apparently there are quite a few of these cars being sold like hotcakes on Ebay.

Seems to be decent sales at that price versus retail.

El Loco

Jim Banner

If you look at the number of auctions that a heavy duty seller has end on any one day, I think you will find that he sells a lot of 0n30 items in a year.  And that does not even include the Buy It Now items.  With that kind of sales numbers, he can undoubtedly buy at prices that you and I can only dream of.  He probably buys items that sell really well in even larger numbers than most so he gets a even better price which lets him sell them cheaper which means he sells more which means ...

Apart from his buying power, he has another business reality working in his favour - quick turn over.  Compare Mr. X on eBay to Mr. H who runs a small, brick and mortar hobby shop.  Both start off with an investment of $100 and both buy the same item to sell.  Mr. H may have to wait a year before his item is off the self, so he charges $100 mark up and his selling price in $200.  Mr. X on the other hand knows that his item will be gone in a month on eBay so he only charges $10 mark up and his selling price is $110.  (No wonder Mr. H takes a year to sell his item at $200 when people are buying the same thing for $110.)  At the end of the year, who has made the most money?  Well, Mr. H has $200 in his cash drawer for that one item.  Mr. X, on the other hand, kept reinvesting his income in further items and at the end of the year has $314 in his cash drawer.  You, I, ten other buyers, and Mr. X are all smiling.   Mr. H is busy painting signs for a going out of business sale.  This is of course a gross simplification and ignores their relative costs for buying items and their overhead costs.  But it does serve to show how a savvy dealer can make good money with even a low mark up.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ChrisS

Moral of the story..... Stop bidding against me guys.