News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Resin Log loads question

Started by Heave, December 09, 2009, 12:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heave

I dont want to be spamming the forums. But indulge me with another question.

Those Resin log loads are nice that go with the logging cars. But dont really match available trees on the market today. What sort of excuse should I come up with?

A second question. If I model a saw mill of a open type (O gauge...) and need to cut a few extra logs, how can I safely cut these resin logs?

Or should I just buy stripwood and pretend those are cut logs from the logging cars that dumped into the millpond? And cut my own wood loads to match existing trees around the log loading area of the layout?

Finally but not last, what good is pulpwood? Are those smaller branches and limbs cut from the larger resin logs to go to paper mills or such? Or even a company tie plant to make track ties?

mabloodhound

Pulpwood is cut from standing trees of smaller diameters.   Limbs and scrap is not used for pulpwood.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

NarrowMinded

I tossed my resin logs in a box and use real tree trimmings of correct size as logs, to make the bark darker I put them in the oven on 350 and kept an eye on them until they were the color I thought was exceptable.

NM

Jimster

Heave asked:

Finally but not last, what good is pulpwood?

The prototypes for the pulpwood cars ran on the Maine 2-foot lines. There were many "novelty" mills along the line which used the pulpwood for everday products. In Strong there was a large toothpick mill. Other mills produced shingles, tool handles, spools...and they used the smaller pulpwood.

Jim

Heave

Quote from: Jimster on December 11, 2009, 04:46:54 PM
Heave asked:

Finally but not last, what good is pulpwood?

The prototypes for the pulpwood cars ran on the Maine 2-foot lines. There were many "novelty" mills along the line which used the pulpwood for everday products. In Strong there was a large toothpick mill. Other mills produced shingles, tool handles, spools...and they used the smaller pulpwood.

Jim

This right there makes me understand myself.

I LIKE the log cars. they are cool! I like the Pulpwood even more!

I'm going to have to go to sleep while thinking things over. I had two camps planned. Both for logs. Now I think one camp for pulpwood out of small trees and the second camp for big logs.

It's a shame that the really big resin logs dont really fit anything.

Maybe Bachmann can rectify that by making and selling trees with complete ready to plant into layout based on these Resin forms.

I suppose all that is left is operations. One engine, two different product. Do I run a morning turn to one camp and then the afternoon turn to the other camp?

Heave

After research, I may go ahead and plant these Bachmann logs into the ground at the Log loading area to form a sort of corduroy road where Donkeys can land and lift logs onto the cars. I will have to learn to make log loads to more closely match the surrounding trees that are availible in the hobby.

I might cheat a little and use a high line to reach over a ridge to bring them logs in.

Mike_AA9ZY

The latest issue of the On30 Annual had an article about improving the Bachmann log cars.
FYI: If you haven't ordered it yet, it's a great issue.

http://www.on30annual.com/

I have no financial interest in the magazine.

mabloodhound

The logs Mike refers to above are available at www.RustyRail.com
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security