Raising the coupler height on the new 2-6-6-2

Started by kcsivils, December 09, 2009, 10:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcsivils

I am awaiting the arrival of my 2-6-6-2 from my dealer and am having a hard time waiting!

I raise the coupler height on all of my On30 stuff to the On3 coupler height - I am a glutton for punishment, but I use On30 as poor man's On3, and I just like the look much better.

Has anyone tried this alteration yet on the 2-6-6-2?

Has anyone looked at how the coupler is mounted on the tender? Will this be a simple Dremel operation to raise the coupler or will the tender deck have to be raised as well?

The front coupler is not as key, it can be changed with a PSC coupler pocket casting for a logging locomotive.  You just drill out the shank on a KD coupler and insert it in the slot at the right height after epoxying the casting on the front of the pilot.  This is how the prototype raised coupler height on loggers anyhow.  It just won't couple automatically - but again, it is the front coupler and this locomotive is going to be the road locomotive.

Anyone who has done this alteration or is willing to look at the tender for me, I would greatly appreciate any feedback while I patiently await the arrival of my Green Box!

locoron

I to have raised my On30 couplers. Am using Kadee 147's which have the shank at the bottom of the knuckle.
These are a whisker coupler, install easily and work well.
locoron