News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

engine and cars derail on turnouts

Started by gstebb, December 10, 2009, 02:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstebb

I have the Thunder Valley n gauge train set, added additional ez track and five turn outs to make a 2 x 4 foot layout. The engine and the cars will almost always derail on any of the turn outs when they are set to the turn out position (not straight). It appears that the front truck of the cars will follow the curved track and the rear truck will go down the straight track even though the turn out is set to the curved position. The engine has the same problem. After spending so much money on turn outs I find this very frustrating. Is there any solution to the problem?

johnTom

May I ask what type of loco are you using and what era are you modeling?

Steam
Diesel

Tom
I like U.S. HISTORY, railroad history.etc...

Tom

gstebb

Quote from: johnTom on December 10, 2009, 09:21:03 AM
May I ask what type of loco are you using and what era are you modeling?

Steam
Diesel

Tom

The engine is a diesel. I am not sure I have given much thought to what era I was modeling. I am using this layout to practice layout, landscaping, etc.

James in FL

Hi gstebb,

From looking at the B'mann product guide what you have for a lokie is a GP40.
Next, I will assume you are using the EZ track that came with your set, and have added some extra EZ track and switches.

Now going on that...

Are you powering the switches (turnouts)?
When you move the points, either electrically or manually, to the points lay tight to the rail in both directions (they should)?
If this is what's happening let me know and I will post a fix.

If you are not powering...
The spring in the turnouts is not strong enough to securely hold the points to the rail. As the loco passes over the points they may be moving slightly away from the rail causing your problem.
Get your eyes down low and travel slowly with the lokie and see if this is happening.

If you are powering the turnouts...
The solenoid will hold the points to the rail provided the internal pinion and rack gears are properly aligned.
More on this later when we get there.

With power applied and activating the switch, look to see if the points are being held flush against the rail in both the passing and diverging routes (again, if their not, I will post a fix). You will feel slight resistance when trying to move the points, with your finger, away from the rail.
If they appear to contact the rail tightly in both positions, check to see if the wheels are bumping of the tips of the point rails as the loco enters onto the turnout track. This is what's commonly referred to "picking the points".
If this is what's happening, then use a small needle file to sharpen the leading edge of the points.
The points should lie as flush as possible against the rail. Your filing should be on the outside of the points and maybe a slight dressing of the insides.
Easiest to remove the turnout and hold it in your hand when doing this. When you think you have it (be sure to blow all the filings out)...then reinstall the turnout, power it up and activated it electrically to see how you've done.
The first one might take a few minutes, the rest will go quicker.
Again make sure it's held fast to the rails in both positions. Also check to see the tops of the railhead and the points are flush or the point rails very slightly below.
If the points are not making good contact with the rails it will require opening up the turnout and realigning the pinion to the rack gears.

If you're still having problems with the turnout after filing, and being sure the points are contacting the rails properly, look to the wheel gauge of your wheel sets on your lokie and rolling stock.

Both wheel gauge and track gauge are very important.
Easiest way to check is with an N scale NMRA standards gauge <$10 at most LHS or train shows. They are almost a must have for the hobby for both wheel and track gauge.
You can do it with calipers but its much more time consuming than the go-no-go gauge.

NMRA standard's for both track and wheel gauge can be found here;

http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/pdf/S-3.2%202009.07.pdf

http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/pdf/S-4.2%202009.07.pdf

Enough for now, try these things and report back.

Good Luck.