News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Acela Engine (power car) not running right

Started by fredsmi, December 10, 2009, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredsmi

I've tried the power car on three different tracks with the same results.  I don't think its the track.

Problem ... when I put power to the track the lights will come on briefly then go out and the engine will not run.  If I give the engine a little push down it'll start to move, but has trouble keeping a constant flow of power.

The truck poles (contacts) seem to be touching the contacts on the engine well with a little bounce.  Also, if I put power to the contacts the wheels turn.  Any tips on how to get power thru the trucks consistently.

ABC

It sounds like the wheels of your locomotive and your track is dirty. The solution is simple: clean your track and the wheels on your loco and then it will run fine. Might I ask how long you have had this loco? If a while and it hasn't been lubed, a little bit of Labelle will go a long way.

fredsmi

It is less than a week old.  If it's the track, why do other trains run well and this one doesn't?

How do I clean the trucks?  By inspection, they look clean and well lubed.

fredsmi

I just laid down a piece of flex track with alligator clips to the tracks.  Put the Acela power car on, flipped the switch and same thing ... lights flicker and either go out or it may start moving.  Again, other engines immediately work on this track.

After googling a Model Railroading Magazine article on how to clean wheels, I put power to the wheels with alcohol and cotton swabs without the swab (just the cotton sticks).  I just kept cutting the stick shorter after it got dirty.  One Q-tip per truck.  It is now circling the track with all 5 cars. 

Thanks.  It seems like maybe the lube was all over the wheels (Idunno). 

James in FL

Hi fredsmi,

Glad you got it running again.
New track is not clean.
Wipe the rail head with a cotton cloth wet with alcohol, you will see.
Its good practice to clean both the railhead and the wheel sets at the same time.

Some locos are more sensitive to dirty track than others.
When it comes to lubricating a lokie, less is more.

Good Luck.

fredsmi

So I got all five cars circling the track, but it kept throw'n a wheel. 

The power car alone will run laps fine.  When I add  the cars, the wheels spin causing the engine to shake and jerk the wheels off the track.  Even if I apply power slowly, same thing.  The traction treads are still in place. 

This happens whether starting in a straight away or a curve.  Even if I get it started and doing laps, it'll do the same thing soon.

James in FL

I do not have the Acela set.
From what I gather, the cars are lighted, reading from the description in the products link.

Now assuming your track is clean and all the wheel sets, on all the equipment (including the traction tires), have also been cleaned...

Kind of sounds like what your describing is that the weight of the consist is bogging down the power car.
This would indicate to me that the rolling resistance in one, or more, of your cars is too great, or you're laying down oil from some where, to the track.

Again I am not familiar with how the cars are illuminated but if their picking power from the track there must be some sort of wiper system or perhaps from the axle points.

Remove the non-powered cars from the track and, by finger, turn each wheel set on each truck to see which one(s) are difficult to turn.

While you're at it, wipe the residue off the track again with alcohol. Spinning traction tires will lay down a film.
Trucks and wheel sets generally don't require lubrication.
If you find it necessary to lube them then use graphite rather than oil.
In roughly 15 years in the hobby, I have never lubricated trucks or wheel sets aside of on locomotives.

Can you post a close-up pic of both trucks on any but the powered car?

fredsmi

QuoteCan you post a close-up pic of both trucks on any but the powered car?

I did not take a pic this weekend, but here is a link to the truck as a part:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=254&zenid=q70u8obpadi9v62kdjbq5j6o31

A T-bone rides upside down on the wheel axils, and the weight of the car sits on the top of the T-bones.  This is definitely how the power car is, and I think it is the same on all of them.

If having the lights creates too much drag on the system, I'd rather not have them. 

fredsmi

The wheels on the NON-power cars turn okay.  Out of the box I was concerned they didn't turn that well so I checked and they all turned.  I checked again last night, and they all turn (maybe better).  They are better now than when out of the box.  I'll try to compare them to regular stock wheels.  If I flip regular stock wheels with my finger I get a long "zzzzzzz" sound as they roll to a stop, but on the Acela, I get a "zzz."  On the track, if I push regular stock cars, they move a couple/few feet with a nice "sssssss," but with the Acela non-power cars they quickly stop with a small "ss" or more of a short "sh" sound.

Even if I get the Acela going on the full track and cars it came with, it derails a lot (usually with that bouncy wheels spinning jerk).  OUT OF FRUSTRATION, I PUT IT AWAY LAST NIGHT. 

James in FL

Sometimes it's best to walk away when you're frustrated.
When you feel like going back to it, check the wheel gauge.

There is a solution and a fix we just need to get from here to there.

Hopefully someone with the Acela set will chime in,