News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

e-z track layout question

Started by jun_1.8T, December 10, 2009, 04:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jun_1.8T

hi there uys....

im about to start on my very first layout. im thinking of using the e-z track for the simplcity of it. i want to do a sort of a 2 level layout in which i will a have track that will somehow climb a small mountain. could i use the e-z track on an incline a decline??? or would i be better off using a flex track???

thanks!

jonathan

jun_1.8T,

Actually, EZ track is no problem for grades.  I used a series of 1"X3" boards, cut to increasing lengths, as supports for the grey roadbed.  Other folks have used insulating foam board.  There are any number of ways to add grade to EZ track.  I don't use it exclusively, but it works as well as any other type of track.

Welcome and enjoy your new found obsession!

Regards,

Jonathan

jun_1.8T

jonathan,

thanks for the reply. but i wonder how can i start to raise the track if it snaps on together?? where do i start raising it???  by the way i will be using insulation foam board for my grades and scenery....

thanks

jonathan

There are a number of ways.  I'll just pick one:

Let's say you want to start an elevation on a straight run of ez track.  All the straight pieces could be connected already.  The first piece of straight track could be mounted to your benchwork already. You could begin your elevation by slipping a piece of heavy card stock underneath the joint of your second and third piece of straight track.  The start of the rise would be so slight, neither you, nor your train would notice the difference.  In other words, the kink in the track would be too slight to cause any running trouble.  You could continue on by doubling the card stock at every joint, until the elevation is high enough to slip some 1/4" plywood (or Styrofoam)underneath.  Then you can build the elevation under the plywood (Styrofoam), while the track has a steady base to ride upon.  EZ track is pretty sturdy stuff.  The air underneath the first few pieces will be okay.  Or, if you're concerned, you could fill in the space with extruded foam (Great Stuff) later.

Woodland Scenics also makes a product to start a grade (forget the name, perhaps, 'easy risers'?).

Anyway, that should get your creative juices flowing.

Regards,

Jonathan

jun_1.8T

thanks again...

now....are there any links out there that has layout plans that is made on "e-z tracks"??? i mean...yes there are a lot of layout drawings out there but i need something that would tell me which peices and how many i will need for a certain layout.

mabloodhound

Atlas has a similar product called 'true-track'.   There are layouts for this on the Atlas website.  http://www.atlasrr.com/WebTrue-Track/index.htm
Look under "layouts-HO-HO layouts-True-track".
I believe these layouts will work for you with the E-Z track.

Atlas also has free software for making your own layouts using true-track http://www.atlasrr.com/righttrack.htm

I just downloaded the software and looked at it and yes, the Atlas track uses the same lengths and radii as E-Z track.   So you should be all set.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

mabloodhound

I just came across this on e-bay and it will do the incline you want http://cgi.ebay.com/BACHMANN-EZ-HO-14-PIECE-PIER-BRIDGE-SET-TRAIN-44471_W0QQitemZ370304030554QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item5637d7175a
These work for HO and On30 which both use the same E-Z track.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Pacific Northern

FYI a 3% incline which is considered severe for HO is a 3/4" rise ever 2 feet. I would recommend a lower incline say a 2% incline.
Pacific Northern