News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sweet new train stuff

Started by Cody J, December 15, 2009, 03:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody J

A friend of mine at my school has some HO train stuff that he is giving me. He's more of a computer nerd than a "train geek" as people at my school call me, but whatever, I've learned just not to hear people. I wold be better off living by myself, anyway,.... I've already got some stuff with more on the way. So far I have:
Life-Like ConRail RS-11 #8416
Bachmann Union Pacific B23-7 #124
Cass Scenic Railroad Boxcar with Shay #11 painted on the side (it's so realistic)

I think he said something about a SD70M or something and maybe some track or rolling stock. Early Christmas for me! Actually, Christmas for me is my brothers coming home from Ohio State.

I guess the main point of posting this is that not all people at my school are mean. I live in a very rich community where we have a lot of doctors and lawyers and I'll be the first to say, I'm not rich so it's fun to get some free stuff where all the rich kids make fun of you for liking trains.

Cody
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

jettrainfan

I know how it feels. And the funny think is, they flipped out when i brought my SD40-2 high nose! reasons i didn't like it
1: it was a messed upsetting watching kids touch the rails
2: it looked horrible with the fake solar panel!

the next day teasing was at it again. Either way, its better than getting into drugs and other things. Those kids don't know(and probably never will) what they are missing out on. I hope the teasing lightens up on you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Cody J

Yeah hopefully. And yes, traina are better than smoking, drinking and drugs
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

CNE Runner

You guys deserve a lot of credit...sticking with something in spite of what others think. I got into model railroading a long, long time ago and left the hobby through college and the early days of my career. Once or twice I 'returned to the fold' only to leave again. I am now retired and treasure any time spent 'on the rails'. I guess my point is that model railroading is a very fulfilling hobby that grows better with the years. Your assignment is to pass on your enthusiasm to your children...when the time comes.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jward

take it from somebody who went through the same thing about 30 years ago. trains, or any hobby, give your life focus at a time when most are trying to find themselves. and that after you get out of high school, the very traits they tease you about now are the ones others will respect you for as an adult.

p.s. after i left high school, i moved away and never looked back. to this day i have no idea what became of the people i went to school with.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

NarrowMinded

I just turned forty seven, I look around today and see people I went to school with, most of those that were teased and had hobbies like trains, coin collecting and the other not so popular hobbies are Succeful people today,  I have seen a lot of the "teasers" who are not so happy with the way their life has turned out.  do what YOU love, not what others think you should love.

NM

P.S. Nobody makes fun of singer Rod Stewarts  for his Train layout.

jonathan

ebtbob

I was lucky.   Growing up in the late 50s and 60s,  having a hobby was considered normal.   As a matter of fact....in my high school it was not unusual to find 5 or 6 guys who were into model railroading in every class.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

CNE Runner

While probably not the intention of this thread's originator; there were some excellent points made herein. Well said, Jeff...the intrinsic values/interests that become internalized, early in life, are those that can help shape our desires, destinies, and behaviors later on. [I also have only gone to a couple of high school reunions before realizing that I have moved on...and too many of my ex-classmates have not.] NM - While I admire the fine job Rod Stewart did on his Songbook collection, I would love to spend a couple of days being exposed to his model railroading skills.

Ebtbob - You made me reminisce about those long ago times in the 1950s and 60s. Specifically, I remember that both my junior high school (a time before middle schools), and high school, had a model railroad club. Yes, having a hobby then was considered 'normal' and not looked down by most. Our senior class president, and captain of the varsity football team, was a member of the model railroad club...how times have changed!

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Jhanecker2

Trainsrock : We come into the world with nothing and all we leave with are our memories. So enjoy your self . As we said in the Sixties  "Different Strokes for Different Folks" I have acquired many hobbies and enjoy as many of them that I can, money and time allowing. Life should be lived to the fullest . If others come along thats fine but don't let the lack of others keep you from enjoying yourself .  Make your Memories Glorious.  J2.