News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Length of E-Z Track turntable

Started by Paul M., December 12, 2009, 08:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul M.

Hi guys,
I see the long-wished for E-Z Track turntable has been released, in the Thomas line. Thankfully, it looks like it can be fairly painlessly adapted to fit prototype modeling.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3096

Does anyone have this already? If so, what's the length, in scale feet, of the turntable's capacity? (ex: 90', 120', etc.)

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Len

The deck appears to be the same length as the 9in straight in the picture, which would make it the EZ Track equivelant of the Atlas 9in turntable.
Converting that to HO scale feet would make the deck 65ft 3-3/4in long.

Can't say I care much for the $175.00 price tag for a manual turntable, even if it does include the roundhouse. Especially since the roundhouse is European style, and not much use to American RR modelers. It also bothers me there's no mention of whether this thing can be motorized, or when the motor will be available, and at what price, if it can be.

I realize this is aimed at Thomas fanatics, but there are a lot more American railroading HO folks out there that would love to see the turntable available seperately for a more reasonable price.

Especially considering the MSRP on the Atlas turntable and motor drive is $31.95 each. But they can be had from  Amazon, and other places, for roughly $22.50 each, giving a total of $45.00 + S&H for a motorized turntable. And it's not that hard to trim the ends of EZ Track to match up to the Atlas turntable.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbsmith

it has kind of hard to tell in the from the perspective in the photo.
Then there is the usuall total lack of details about the product like the dimensions, size of the turntable and all of that.
Len may well be about right with his guess.
It looks like this is definitely intended for smaller locos.
So,,if you have any that fit within a  9" straight you should be alright.
IF you happen to be looking for a Victorian era architecture roundhouse then this is it!
It should blend in well if you happen to have Victorian to WWI
era buildings, many of which are still standing and still being used in many American cities today.

It is Your RR layout.

One Thomas building that i  might just get is the coaling tower,
already weathered,,same with the signal gantries.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1928

the ones i have seen in stores look better than it does in the photo

Paul M.

Okay, that was about what I was thinking. I think I'll still go for a Walthers or similar turntable.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Jefft580

I am just getting back into my HO trains,and I invested in EZ track is there any turntable out there now that will work with the EZ track???? like atlas or something along that nature.

Len

Jeff,

The Atlas turntable works fine with EZ Track with some slight modification to the EZ-Track. I would suggest using 2-1/4 or 3in straights as the transition pieces.

Remove the loop and pin from one end of the transition piece. Butt that end up against the turntable, centered in the opening, and mark the height and width of the turntable approach track opening on the end of the EZ Track. Lay the EZ Track on the approach track opening and mark the depth on the EZ Track.

Trim off the marked area of the EZ Track road on each side with a razor saw or knife. Sand or file the cut edges smooth, and install to the turntable. Your approach and roundhouse EZ Track with attach to the transition piece normally.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.