News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Do I need a reversing module?

Started by tford, December 22, 2009, 08:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tford

I have installed a siding between two tracks running in the opposite direction. I was hoping to use this siding to change the direction of the trains. I ended up with a short; so I isolated the siding supplied separate power leads and still have a short. Do I need to install a reversing module and if I do; do I have to install a booster in line with the reversing module? Oh ya I am running Bachmann E-Z Comand DCC.

ABC

An automatic reversing module would be helpful in this situation. So if I understand you correctly you have a crossover between two tracks running in the opposite direction. So you will need to insulate the part of the crossover that is not a part of the 2 main lines from the 2 main lines, then you will need to supply power to that section of track.

Joe Satnik

Dear tford,

Any possibility you could put up a diagram or picture of your siding?

Keyboard characters can work, too.

l
l
l\
l \
l  \
l   l
l   l
l  /
l /
l/
l
l

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jward

or.....
you sound like you have one loop wired the opposite polarity of the other loop. swap your feeder wires on one of the loops and your siding should work just fine. if it doesn't, swap your feeder wires in the siding too.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

tford

Two tracks running in opposite directions

l  l  l
       l\ l  l
       l \l  l
       l  l  l
       l  l  l 
       l  \  l
       l   \ l
       l     l
       l     l
I hope this helps (neat idea about drawing with characters) the center track is the siding and the two outside tracks are main lines in opposite directions.

ABC

_______
/    /      \
|    |       |
\__/____/

Does the above picture resemble your situation. The center part being the crossover, the 2 ends and straight sections being part of an oval.
  ______
/      /  \
|  __/_   |
| /      \  |
| \____/ |
\______/
Or is it what jward has described as pictured above? That is are there are 2 separate ovals connected, one wired with the opposite polarity? If this is the case no automatic reversing module is required because there is not a reversing loop.

ABC

Quote from: tford on December 22, 2009, 09:44:07 PM
Two tracks running in opposite directions...
I hope this helps...the center track is the siding and the two outside tracks are main lines in opposite directions.
Are the 2 mainlines a part of one another, in that if you started the train out on the one mainline would it eventually get to the second mainline without switching.

tford

Mr. ABC,
yes the two main lines are the same track, they cross over each other with a grade; the layout is one continuous loop.

Joe Satnik

Dear tford,

Disconnect all power feeds to your layout track, except one. 

If your short goes away, you have mis-wired your extra feeders to the wrong rails.  (Mis-matched polarities.)

If your short does not go away, you have a reverse loop.  Remedy:

You will need to install insulating rail connectors, or cut rail gaps, and use a reversing module. 

If you show a complete diagram of your layout, we can tell you where to put the rail gaps and where to put the reversing module. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

tford

I will try to put a copy of my layout on here, as always, thanks for the help so far