The Christmas tree train bug has got me

Started by BestSnowman, December 13, 2009, 04:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BestSnowman

My mother-in-law got a christmas tree train, while it bothers me because its such cheap plastic and sound is so annoying (its almost constantly blowing the whistle or ringing a bell) I've kind of got the bug now.

Today my son and I set up our HO Hogwarts express under our tree but I'm thinking I need to go large scale as soon as I can afford it.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

Jim Banner

You, Sir, are a Wise Man.  Better to enjoy what you have now than to wait until you can afford something you think might be better.  Even if you do get a large scale train for under future trees, this Christmas will go down in your family history as the year Junior and Dad their up their Horgwarts Express under the tree.  Merry Christmas.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

mf5117

I agree Bestsnowman . I still have so much to do to my HO scale layout . I know my girlfriend bought me a Large Scale Tweetsie set  for Christmas . The Money Im going to spend on new track and switches and such for the outdoors . Although Im excited . Im kinda worried because it's another project Im going to have to finish . And at this time theres not enough time in the day . But at least now Christmas eve Ms Santa will leave it under the Tree . I went back and barrowed my dads LGB set he had in the attic .And I can say it is kinda nice seeing it run around the tree .    Its very peaceful watching it . Its like laying on the sitty "couch" and stairing at the fish tank . .......Its a wonderful time of the year .    I charish the things my son and I have done . I wish I would have modeled railroad with him . Like Jim said    Merry Christmas   mark f

Heave

I dont have the bug. However, I am not insensitive. I recall family photos of a small garden layout set up either below the tree with Nativity Scene (Now THOSE were the non PC days....) or in one corner of basement.

Some surviving models and engines belong to Pa now.  He did set up a G scale tree layout some years ago and I think that started to renew the annual tree garden.

I wont be setting up a tree garden this year, I am busy clearing the train room of the last remnants of HO scale stuff prior to reestablishing a smaller, cheaper and more manageable On30 layout.

Johnson Bar Jeff

I live in a small, one-bedroom condo, so I have a four-foot-tall table-top Christmas tree, which means I can use my HO equipment under the tree.

What is supposed to be my dining room table is wide enough for a loop of EZ-track using 18-inch-radius curves. I cover the table with a white flannel sheet to simulate snow-covered ground, with white foam to indicate packed-down streets and paths. The town consists of old "Pine Hollow" Christmas buildings (mostly bought on eBay) from circa 1980; they aren't quite HO scale, I think, but they're close enough for government work. The townspeople are Preiser "Edwardian" figures dressed for winter. The trees are all snow-covered Christmas village trees from K-Mart. We don't often have a White Christmas in downtown Philadelphia, but it's always a White Christmas under my tree.

The train is a souped-up "Hooterville Cannonball," with three passenger cars and a gondola loaded with ginormous (for HO scale) Christmas packages. Late at night, with the room lights dim and the tree lights on, it's very relaxing just to sit and watch the train make its circuit of the village with its headlight glowing.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Loco Bill

You can get nice G Scale set from Bachmann for as low as $220.  Some of the latest Davenport sets are available for $160 or so.  Check the Trainworld and St Aubinhs Station Ad's in Garden Railways magazine.  If you are totally new Call Robbie at RLDhobbies.com he always answers personnally and is incredibly helpful.  He will always match the discounters prices to boot. his toll free number is on the web site. 

Have a great Christmas!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

BestSnowman

Jeff you've given me an idea, maybe next year I'll just get a small tree and stick it in the middle of my HO layout :)
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: BestSnowman on December 14, 2009, 06:55:45 PM
Jeff you've given me an idea, maybe next year I'll just get a small tree and stick it in the middle of my HO layout :)

It's nice to feel I've been helpful.  :D

Merry Christmas!

jimk4490

Yes, one Philadelphian replied how relaxing it was to watch a train go around in a loop. I agree. I wonder sometimes why it is that I like my train so much. It doesn't do much, does it? Just goes around in a circle and it has a couple of little lights on it.  Well maybe therein lies the answer. Peace. Jim ( a former Philadelphian)

riny

I have to join in with those with the Xmas tree bug. About 10 years ago or so I got a very inexpensive Bachmann G gauge (plastic, batteries, but with sound!) and ran it around the tree. It was great! A train looping around a simple oval somehow was fascinating to watch -- the bug had gotten me. So a few years again I got my old O gauge train out from the 50's, along with an older O gauge from the 20's (a hand me down that needed a little work to run), added my old houses, figures, 50's cars, roads, added track ballast -- the whole bit, and wow! it was unbelievable. This year I'm into On30: a  B&O Royal Blue Line passenger steamer with some freight cars (bought separately), with a siding.  I take turns running them. It also includes a point-to-point On30 Bachmann Hershey trolley (but not on Bachmann's EZ track set). I've come to like On30 because its HO track size allows more items in my layout (6X4), yet is still O gauge in size -- plus the prices are usually less. This year's layout has a 1900's theme with a pond, covered bridge, antique cars, horse wagons, etc. The trolley & B&O trains are of turn-of the 19th/20th century protos. Each year I plan to do a different theme, but reuse the same pieces as much as possible.
Also, I understand that there's a lot of Xmas tree train videos on YouTube for anyone interested.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: riny on January 14, 2010, 05:02:06 PM
Each year I plan to do a different theme, but reuse the same pieces as much as possible.

I sort of do the opposite. My plan is to keep the Christmas layout the same, but vary the layout the rest of the year. The circa 1900 Christmas village has been packed away, and I'm nearing completion of its replacement, at least for the next few months, anyway.

The new town, laid out on the same street plan as the Christmas village, is Plasticville, with some structures dating back to the 1950s, but the railroad structures are all genuine Revell, the small town station and yard buildings, with a couple of elevated gate towers to protect the two crossings. The structures are in place, the streets and sidewalks are laid, and even the vehicles are in position. Now I have to add the trees and other greenery, the citizens, and a few other details.  :)