News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum PA Passenger Car Repair

Started by BillyBoyVA, December 13, 2009, 06:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyBoyVA

I am trying to take apart a passenger car to repair the windows that are falling out and burned out interior lamps.  I have released the 2 plastic tabs at each end of the underside of the car.  The car body will not release from the base.  Are there screws hiden somewhere?   What is the proper procedure for disassembling these passenger cars to replace lamps and windows.

NKline

There are also some tabs along the sides of the car that need to be released by gently prying the sides of the car away from the frame while gently pulling down on the frame and the wires from the interior light snake down the sides and under the interior of the car then through the frame and are connected to the screws on the trucks that hold the sideframes of the trucks on. Hope this helps.

-Nathan

Quote from: BillyBoyVA on December 13, 2009, 06:40:20 PM
I am trying to take apart a passenger car to repair the windows that are falling out and burned out interior lamps.  I have released the 2 plastic tabs at each end of the underside of the car.  The car body will not release from the base.  Are there screws hiden somewhere?   What is the proper procedure for disassembling these passenger cars to replace lamps and windows.

SideTracked

YES, There are screws hidden inside the Spectrum passenger cars!!!

If you can see in the windows, you'll notice there's four screws. Two for the trucks, the other two hold the frame, metal weight and the car floor as a sandwich assembly. Disassembly starts with removing the roof.

If your passenger cars are like mine, the documentation that comes with them is minimal, at best. But, if you paid attention, then you remembered they are advertised as having removable roofs. They simply snap off, start by getting a thumb under the roof above the door at the overhang, catch the edge and gently apply upward pressure.

With the roof removed, you'll have direct access to the lamp unit. With the wires unsoldered, remove the floor screws. Now is the time to release the four dis-assembly tabs below the bulkheads. Run a thumb thumb nail in the frame/body joint while trying to get one of the ends to free-up. It's easier to do than to describe.

I've disassembled all of my cars for a change to custom colors. Since I'm all thumbs, I remove the couplers and end pieces to prevent damaging the small stuff while prying the frame and body apart. Be advised, that still leaves the truss rods vulnerable while you are trying get a good grip for the final separation. I install my uncoupling linkage detail (like B'mann uses on the locos) while the end pieces are off the car.
Are we having fun yet?