News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann sd40-2 dcc equipped engine trouble

Started by the nitro man, December 13, 2009, 06:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the nitro man

hi everyone, first post.

i have a few questions about a bachmann sd40-2 dcc equipped engine. first of all i don't use dcc, i use standard dc. the problem I'm having is it is slow. even at wide open throttle it might do 30-35 scale mph. on top of that it's not a good puller at all.

is this commen with these engines? or does it have to do with the fact I'm using it with standard dc? if i took the factory dcc board out, would it run more like i want? i have a feeling the board is sucking up the power, but i don't know. this is the only dcc engine i have & i don't know much about them.

thanks, nitro

Cody J

I don't have DCC but have considered starting using Bachmann SD40-2 DCC On Board engines but I'll try to help. From what I have read/learned a DCC engine should run fine on standard DC. Also, Bachmann's are heavily weiighted so the engine should pull very well.

cody
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

the nitro man

i greased it up today just to see if thet would help, & it did seem to help some. i run my trains pretty quick, maybe it just seems slow compaired to some of my other engines. the engine is fairly heavy so it should pull pretty good, but it doesn't. it doesn't spin the wheels either, just boggs the motor down.

it is nicely detailed & painted for the money.

mf5117

My Bachmann HO Burlington Northern sd40-2 . Runs a little slower than the gp40's FT-A and B units . Did you run or break it in properly. Mr. Jim Banner recommends a figure 8 .for breaking in your engines . I've never really had any problems with it .other than it  doesn't like a 18" radius and crossing a #5 turnout to the 22" radius and mainline . but I solved that problem and put 2 # 6 turnouts in their place ,in one part of the layout . And keep the wheel trucks clean . It will pull 10 car string and a caboose rather well and not let up . It's one of my favorites of the diesels I have . I'd like to buy another one . I may sneak one in when I start buying my Large scale track .  Have fun Merry Christmas   

bobwrgt

How many cars are you trying to pull? Is the track level or is it up and down hill? Are the cars free rolling or due they have lots of resistance. What are the other engines you are comparing it to?
I have 4 Bachmann SD40-2.s . They pull 20 or more cars that are free rolling on level track.  They are not a fast as Athearn engines.

Bob

the nitro man

I'm compairing it to my athearn & a couple of bachmann sd45's i have that are about 5 years old. after i greased it, it did seem to improve. i don't know why though, it was greased pretty well before i did anything to it. it will pull 10 cars pretty easy now. i just wish it was a little faster & i wished they would have put flywheels on it. to me not putting flywheels on it is just being cheap!