News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

loco/tender.....no sound

Started by txblanco, December 16, 2009, 12:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txblanco

I have a 4-6-0 Thunderbolt Express, set No 90011 I believe.  I have no sound.  I checked the 9 volt battery and have 9.2 volts and the cord from the tender to the loco is plugged in.

Do not no what else to check.  Any help?

calenelson

is the battery in correctly +/- on "right side"?

did you turn the switch on the bottom of tender, and adjust the volume with the switch?

I believe the train has to be moving for the sound to operate (chuff)

this may help?

http://www.youtube.com/bachmanntrains#p/u/3/GKImsl8gcWc

good luck!

txblanco

I think the battery has to be in properly for the engine to run.

I could not find an on/off switch or volume control on the bottom of the tender.

Joe Satnik

Dear tx,

There may be a switch next to the socket on the back of the loco where the tender plugs in.  I think the switch had to be "down" to make the chuff contacts work.   

(I would have manufactured the loco with the switch "up" for "on", though Tony W. probably thinks it works well "as is" in Australia.) 

If it still doesn't work, unplug the tender. 

Bend a small diameter solid bare wire (Cat. 5 or phone hook-up wire, e.g.) into a "U" shape. 

Touch the plug's two connectors with the ends of the U shaped wire. 

Each touch should produce a chuff sound. 

If it does, your problem is in the loco. 

If it doesn't, your problem is in the tender. 

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

txblanco

Thanks Joe...that was the problem.  I was looking for the on/off under the tender per another topic and did not find one.

The sound on/off was on the Loco next to the connection as you said.

calenelson

tx,

glad you got it going...the 4-6-0's I've had the switch on the bottom of the tender hence my offering, sry I was of no real help-Thanks Joe!

txblanco

Calen.....
I really appreciate you taking the time to try and help.  I need all the help I can get.