News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Outdoor use.

Started by papathom, December 14, 2009, 04:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papathom

My grandson wants a G scale train that runs outdoors. For outside use does  it have to be battery powered rather than powered by a transformer? If a transformer is used, that means it is track powered-right? And therefore weather proof.

Loco Bill

Either way will work.  If you use the transformer it will be track powered.  If you buy a Bachamnn G Scale set, the track that comes in the sets are not meant for outdoor use, but the trains are suitable.   You will need to get some USA Trains or Aristo craft Brass or stainless Steel track for permanant use outside.    You could set the set track outside for a day on a dry day and get away with it.  The power pack that comes with the sets is just able to run the train and few cars that come with the set.  If your outside layout has grades and much more track than comes with the set a better quality transfromer will be in order.  You will need to take the same precautions using the electric transformer outside as you would with any other electrical product.  A ground fault outlet is best.   

May you have a Merry Christmas with your grandson and Your oops I mean His new train ;D ;D ;) ;)
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

papathom

Thanks, that's a big help. Since I can't afford a USA Train set, I'm thinking of getting a battery powered Bachman set and an additional track from Aristocraft. Does this make sense?

CNE Runner

Papathom - Battery power, for outside trains, makes the most sense in the long run. With track power you will be constantly cleaning track as they seem to collect tree sap, oxidants in the air, and dirt.

We used to run our G-scale trains all year in Upstate New York. I can remember running my LGB Mogul in the snow!! What a sight. Check out YouTube for some videos of G-scale trains running in the snow.

With retirement, a move down South, and a losing battle against wash outs, squirrels, chipmunks and cats; I sold almost all the G-scale equipment. I had a great time while it lasted.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

CNE Runner

Here is the video of G-scale trains running...and plowing snow...on YouTube. The link is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Y5fJGrJ3k

Be advised there are several parts as well as some great snow-running by other G-Scalers.

Ray

Loco Bill

This video was made by my son who lives North of Denver.  Some of his other snow videos are pretty neat too.

I was able to join in last year and hope to again when we go there this weekend.  Let it snow!!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Robertj668

Ray
That was an awesome video!
Robert

PS I course now I want one.  But getting it to snow in TX is rather tough.

Jim Banner

Ya gotta love them snowplow videos!  Anybody want to try it, just send me a large, insulated box and I'll send you back a few tons of snow, C.O.D.  Actually, this winter it has been cold but not that much snow.  Most winters we start off with a big snow fall and the only thing that can get through is the Saskatchewan snowplow.  Think of a propane torch mounted on a flat car that melts a tunnel through the snow.  Truth be known, that's all we do, think about it.  Then we light a fire in the fire place, mix up some hot toddies, and dream about next spring.  Ah the life of a northern garden railroader.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

CNE Runner

Happy Holidays to all!! Jim, Robert wanted a little snow to show off his G-scale outdoor layout...not the entire Canadian snowpack. [For those of you who don't know, Jim lives within [frozen] spitting distance of the North Pole. Just kidding Jim.] Bill, please pass on our kudos to your son for his excellent video (6 degrees of separation strikes again). Jim, I moved away from snow up north (NY State is getting plastered as I write this); but the hot toddies are another issue...listen for a knock on your door.

Peace,
Ray

jbsmith

Quote from: papathom on December 14, 2009, 04:11:37 PM
My grandson wants a G scale train that runs outdoors. For outside use does  it have to be battery powered rather than powered by a transformer? If a transformer is used, that means it is track powered-right? And therefore weather proof.

If a picture is worth a thousand words
then...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwNulZLSFnI

jbsmith

Loco Bill

Thanks Ray I will tell him prsonally as we just arrived in
Denver yesterday.
They are predictingsnow for tue & Wed!!   The snow plow is ready and the Zepher must get through!!!

;D ;D ;D Snow please snow!!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway