News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

attaching ez track to plyboard

Started by tstack, December 14, 2009, 10:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tstack

I just purchased a Overland limited set for my son and me for Christmas.  I would like to attach the track to a 4'x 8' sheet of 3/4.  My question is how can you attach the ez track directly to the plywood...or should i let the track sit freely.  I'm only adding a few details to start out so me and my son can build on it in the future. 
                                      Thanks, Tim

Jim Banner

With E-Z Track, you can let it sit free.  This allows you to easily try different track configurations without having a problem of track sections coming apart.  If you find a setup that you really like, you can glue the track to the plywood but even then you might want to go easy with the glue so that change is still possible.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

tstack

Thanks Jim,  Im looking forward to getting it set up this week.  My son has been hooked on trains since he learned to walk and now i believe im as hooked as him!

mf5117

Jim how well will hot glue hold EZ Track down . I was reading a previous thread "Securing Track" I did a search when I saw this thread . I'm still trying to decide how I want to anchor my EZ track down as well .

Nigel

Hot melt will work well.  An alternate is Aleene's Tacky Glue available in the crafts section at Wal-mart, craft's stores, and on-line.  Either will hold well, yet is fairly easy to remove without damaging the E-Z track.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

full maxx

I was thinking about little screws but I'm not sure they can be found thin , long , and strong enough ...but if so they would be able to be removed with no problem
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

tstack

I was thinking of screws also but had no luck finding anything that would work.  Im going to give the glue a shot.
    thanks, Tim

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: tstack on December 14, 2009, 11:20:17 PM
Thanks Jim,  Im looking forward to getting it set up this week.  My son has been hooked on trains since he learned to walk and now i believe im as hooked as him!

This just goes to show that model railroading is hereditary. You can get it from your kids.  ;)  :D

Welcome to the fraternity.  :)

TrainArts

As I noted in another post tonight on a different thread, in N scale I would cover the track with ballast, spread it out, then spray and/or drip a mix of rubbing alcohol, elmers and water. After it dried out, it held the track down and the alcohol spread the glue all through the ballast.

If not using ballast I would still think rubbing alcohol mixed in with the glue would help it spread better than detergent.

I'm sure that "sensible people will disagree" with this approach but it worked for me.

Jim

mabloodhound

Jim,
That's a good method, however he is using E Z track and your ballasting will not really help hold down the track as it is already attached to the base.   The hot glue is probably his best bet.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

TrainArts

I forgot to mention in this thread that I was using N scale Kato Unitrack with track attached to a grey plastic roadbed, very much like EZ-track.

The glue/alcohol/water mix worked very well holding the plastic roadbed to the foam and plywood surfaces, and the ballast made the track look that much better.

I had a nice little 10x10 empire built in N scale, too bad I had to tear it up when I moved.