News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

smoke for n scale

Started by rustycoupler, October 04, 2009, 06:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustycoupler

With all the new technology, how come someone cant make smoke in n scale?

dtpowell

It's been done. Arnold Rapido of German made a Bavarian S3/6 4-6-2 with a smoke unit. Ibertrain (Spanish) also produce a diminutive tank locomotive. There may have been others. These two were produced more than twenty years ago. I've seen the loco's, but have not seen them in action, so I can not comment on their operation. The smoke units looked very much like those manufactured by Seuthe. It would indeed be interesting to see someone produce one using today's technology. I'd like to see illuminated marker/classification lights on 'N' scale steamloco's too... ;D (Gaham Farish, are you listening? Lighted Head code lamps anyone?)

Kelly

Try this website  http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/firstclass  . I've purchased smoke units from this website to replace the damaged ones in my old N Rowa 2-8-8-2.

skipgear

Here is an Arnold Pacific with smoke...

It has a Seuth smoke unit in it factory.

Personally, after my experience with Seuth units in an HO Athearn Challenger and a Bigboy, I don't want smoke in anything. The residue from the smoke makes a mess of the loco's and the smoke doesn't last long enough. The Athearn loco's with 2 smoke units a piece are only good for about a lap and a half around a 16x16 L-shaped layout before they run out of fluid. Not worth the headache and mess to clean up afterwards.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

mhampton

I think the smoke units are a novelty which soon grows tiring.  Like skipgear said, they tend to be a little messy and the don't really look like a real steam loco, either.  Even guys in large scale tend to avoid them and only get smoke from live steamers.

Franz T

About 35 years ago, when I was still modeling in HorriblyOversized, I had 2 locos with Seuthe smoke generators. A PITA to fill the oil into them, it looked real cheesy and lasted about 3 minutes before the oil ran out and you had to refill the blasted thing. Not to mention the mess.....
Leave smoke to the Lionel Tin-Plate guys.....

jwoj69

Quote from: dtpowell on October 04, 2009, 11:09:39 PM
It's been done. Arnold Rapido of German made a Bavarian S3/6 4-6-2 with a smoke unit. Ibertrain (Spanish) also produce a diminutive tank locomotive. There may have been others. These two were produced more than twenty years ago. I've seen the loco's, but have not seen them in action, so I can not comment on their operation. The smoke units looked very much like those manufactured by Seuthe. It would indeed be interesting to see someone produce one using today's technology. I'd like to see illuminated marker/classification lights on 'N' scale steamloco's too... ;D (Gaham Farish, are you listening? Lighted Head code lamps anyone?)

I feel the same way. Old Arnold with smoke unit can cost $200 and more. And they had a problem with reliability.
If You are handy hear is a cheap solution. With a little work You can install Seuth unit in Bachmann 4-8-4 or J 4-8-4 (they are higher than most engines). I had converted both of them about 5 and 10 years ago. They are still running with no problems!!
jack