attaching pilot truck wheels for 4-4-0 B&O steam loco

Started by cflucky, December 15, 2009, 01:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cflucky

i'm new to ho trains.  recently bought the subject locomotive.   the pilot truck wheels came unattached in the box.  cannot figure out how they stay attached.   looks like they just snap in but when running the train they keep coming off.   Please advise   ???

Bill Baker

I don't have the Bachmann 4-4-0, but do have the 4-6-0. If the pilot trucks are the same, then you will find a leaf spring and small Phillips head screw that you mount underneath the chassis. You mentioned that it appears they snap on.  Are you sure you have a Bachmann engine?  After looking at my 4-6-0, I don't see any way it could be confused for a snap on truck.
Bill

jonathan

cflucky,

If I understand you correctly, I do have said locomotive.  I think you are writing about the standard line, oldtyme, 4-4-0.

Clarify for me:  are the wheels themselves coming out of the bent metal sleeve, or is the whole truck mechanism coming off?

I have the diagram handy.  The locomotive itself is packed away for the winter.  If needs be, I can see if the loco is near the top of the box and help walk you thru your dilemma.

Of course, there's always the service department, if you really want a replacement.

Regards,

Jonathan

rich1998

if this is the old time 4-4-0 below is a link to the diagram. store the link. sometimes you can find diagrams there for a lot of model railroad products.

http://www.hoseeker.net/assemblyexplosionbachmann/bachmann440americanpg2.jpg

I just got home and looked at my old time bachmanns and tthe axles do snap in. when manufactured, the metal is slightly rounded to hold the axles in pplace. Maybe you have to press a little harder on the axle to make sure it snaps in place. With a jewelers screwdriver, remove the two cylinders to remove the track from the loco so you do not damaged anything else. I have done this with the truck in place using needle nose pliers.i just thought a little more about this. if the metal has not been rolled over enough to hold the axle. the axle will just drop out. better to send the loco back to bachmann for a replacement.
lex