News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New train owner

Started by tombocsx, December 15, 2009, 11:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tombocsx

I got my first "N" scale last Christmas. It was the Iron Duke set. Any thoughts about getting into HO scale and not pursuing N scale any further ? One problem I'm having with the N scale is keeping to rolling stock on the track.
Thoughts, comments and ideas welcome.

bobwrgt

If you are having a problem with the rolling stock staying on the rail you will probably will have the same problem in HO scale.
You need to find out why the cars are coming off the track. Is the track level and are all the conections between sections smooth?  What type of track are you using? Check the joints in the track and you will also need a gauge to check the wheels on the cars for proper spaceing. . Also check the trucks of the cars to see if they swivel smooth.

Bob

CNE Runner

Tombocsx - Bob has pointed you in the right direction. With a gauge as small as 'N' everything has to be within acceptable limits (it does in HO; but to a somewhat lesser degree...even less as one moves into larger and larger scales).

You get a big 'bang' for the space when you have a layout in N-scale. My problem is that I have difficulty seeing those tiny wheels and details. For that reason, I stuck with HO (although if my eyesight keeps declining with age, I will have to resort to 1:1 stuff).

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Jim Banner

Watch that 1:1 stuff, Ray.  In H0 and N, what you don't see may do in the train.  In 1:1, what you don't see may do in YOU!

Jim

p.s.  With our temperatures hovering around -30, a nice, warm washout sounds pretty good right now.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

CNE Runner

Oh sure Jim...take my wife's side! Just when I had planned to put a Dash 9 in the backyard everyone turns against me! Oh wait a minute...that was a dream!!

I have 'played' at being a 1:1 railroader and can tell you that being a brakie is very, very hard work. I think I saw somewhere on Carl Arendt's website of a chap in Germany that had a 1:1 industrial engine and a relatively short bit of track in his yard. Just the thought of that makes my mouth water.

I just modified this post with the hyperlink to the chap in Germany that has a 1:1 micro layout. Click on the link and scroll down the page...AWESOME!!

Happy Holidays,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"