News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power Supply

Started by tfowen, April 20, 2007, 01:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tfowen

Need a little help, I'm new to Large Scale. I have started a garden RR, I have laid about 250' of track (aristocraft),and will add more as finances allow. It started with a Bachman 4-6-0 starter set, and now have a Bachman 2-4-2, and  a 4-6-0 anniversary eddition, all rolling stock is also Bachman. I have tested the track and engines using the transformer that came with the starter set....all work well however after a few minutes the engines stop and I must wait for the transformer to "cool down" then they run again. I expected this, as I know the transformer was too small.
My question is what type of power supply do you recommend? I do not need a bunch of bells an whistles, only something make it go "round and round" as my wife says. The max number of engines I will operate at on time will be three, all of my switches are manual (latter powered).
Thanks
Tom,
PS anyone near Dawsonville GA ...sure could use some advice....always have cold beer.

Hunt

Before you make a decision to get a better DC power pack… 
Stop and reconsider if you wish to control the track or have independent control of each locomotive.

If you want to just control power on the track and by hand control the spacing of your locomotives, then compare other power packs to the MRC Power “G” power pack
Input: 120VAC, 60Hz
Variable Output: 0-22VDC (for track)
Fixed Output: 22VDC (for accessories)
10 Amps sustained power output

Have you soldered a wire from rail to rail at each joiner?
Are you using brass or stainless steel track?
Are you using bus wiring with track feeders? If Yes, what is feeder spacing?

This link http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips5/power_tips.html#track has some helpful information but it is not comprehensive as some current choices are not covered. But it should help you organize the basic considerations.

tfowen

Hunt,
Thanks for your reply, to answer your questions, I did not solder the track joints instead I coated the track connectors with Noalox, a conductive anti-oxidant joint compound then screwed them together. I have all brass track, it is floated using #89 crushed granite, except for about 75 ft that I built tressels for. Right now I am running just one set of feeders from the transformer to the tracks just to make sure I had power all around.
Would it help if I ran several feeders to various point around the track?
As I said I am new to model RRing, and am learning things the hard way. My intention at the moment is to go with straight track power for now, and latter, after I win the lottery, switch to DCC.
I'm a retired GI on a limited budget at the moment, and just need a power supply to get things started. I will look in to the transformer you mentioned.
I hope this additional information helps you to point me in the right direction.
Thanks,
Tom

Hunt

Quote from: tfowen on April 20, 2007, 12:14:39 PM
Would it help if I ran several feeders to various point around the track?
Would not hurt. But for now, wait until you have the power pack you want. As you run the locomotive, it will show you where you need another power feed.

I preferred wiring method using bus wires with feeders from the bus to the track rails. This method becomes more important to use if you use DCC.

An aside --- For the 4-6-0, keep an eye open for loose wheel (wheel that will turn independent of the axle).  Install washers on any loose wheelsets and secure their  screws with Loctite 222, which is a low strength thread locker. There is a recess in the wheel bushing for a small flat washer.

altterrain

Tom,

I would suggest the addition of  two jumpers (one power connection point for every 100 feet with brass track). I use 16 gauge low voltage landscape light cable for my layout. Using brass the wire can be soldered to the track or rail joiner.
AristoCraft makes a nice 5 amp power supply which will fit your needs. Can be picked up here - http://tinyurl.com/2z9uf2 for a nice price.

-Brian
President of