What's a good Realistic Track to use?

Started by Rbmedlist56, December 16, 2009, 05:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rbmedlist56

Hi;  Anyone with good idea's for realistic 3 rail  sectional track? (back round have some Gar Graves 3ft. track [may use]  two pair Lionel switches that I will still use, max i mum curves will be 042" for this small layout {1 st. ever} I hope some day to build a larger layout & still use this track & larger curves 072" etc.!!  Have five engines with magne-traction,the rest have rubber tires & two have Proto-sound two & will be buying the command system for them.) Since I've never had a layout , any idea's would be appreciated. Thank You , Rbmedlist56 - ( Bob )

Mike_AA9ZY

Personally, I use Atlas O track. I've used a bright boy track cleaner to removed the black coating from the middle rail and have had no problems so far 3+ years.

Joe Satnik

IIRC, the Atlas track is non-ferrous. (Magne-traction wouldn't work.)
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Cobrabob8

Track choice is a personal thing. Like mentioned previously if you have magnetraction and you want it to work you need to use a tinplate type of track. I had Gargraves on my first small layout and when I built my new layout earlier this year I switched to Lionel's FasTrack system. My layout measures 8'6" x 13'10" in a "C" shape and has two levels. So far I have had absolutely no problems with this track. I am very satisfied with it. Although it is a non-ferrous track, the new Atlas track system with no base also looks like an attractive alternative. No matter which track you choose, HAVE FUN!
Cobrabob.
"Train Kept A Rollin' All Night Long.."

phillyreading

I am using Gargraves 042 curves and straight tracks with Gargraves 042 switches for my outer two loops. My inside two loops I am using 027 and Gargraves 032(Gargraves is about one & a half inches wider in radius on their 031 curves than Lionel or others) curves. Gargraves will mate up to other sectional track systems that don't use a plastic roadbed with just adapter pins that take the place of track pins at the connecting area.
What I like about Gargraves and Ross switches is that you can replace the switch motor without taking any sections of track apart. The switch motor mounts on the outside of the switch, not inside like some other companies.

Another good track system from what I have heard is Atlas O's new track with solid rail.

Lee F.

Mike_AA9ZY

I use Atlas O track. I guess it's because I've used their HO and N scale track over the years.

I don't think it's possible to wear out this track and I think it even has a uv coating so you can use it outside.

The only negatives about this track are the cost and the difficulty in cutting it to fit.

DominicMazoch

Use L tube with those rubber roadbeds made by that company in CA.

phillyreading

The only thing bad about using a track system with a built-in roadbed is when you need a custom fit section of track to fit near a curve. >:( The built-in roadbed track systems won't let you custom fit any track pieces! :'( Have to buy expensive small piece sections.

What is L tube track? I have not heard of that track before.

Lee F.

MB425

Quote from: phillyreading on January 03, 2010, 11:28:15 AM
What is L tube track? I have not heard of that track before.

I think he means Lionel Tubular Track which is basic, classic track that has been around forever.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Classic Toy Trains magazine October 2006 issue has a review of all 3-Rail-O track systems, past and present, hollow and solid rail, roadbed and non-roadbed. 

Looks wise, I just visited a beautifully detailed layout that uses ballasted Gargraves track and turnouts.  They have wood ties, which look fantastic.   

It almost made me forget about the middle rail.....

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit:  Added "and turnouts", changed "It has" to "They have".
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

phillyreading

MB425, thank you for the tip about L tube track.

Any way if you are using O gauge tubular track I suggest staying away from Lionel's switches part numbers 23011 & 23010, what happened with me after running my Williams GP-9 through the switch I kept having derailments. I come to find out that the center piece(went back & forth almost 40 times a second) that directs the engines as to wich way to go was malfunctioning whenever a Williams engine got near it.

Lee F.

DominicMazoch

DominicMazoch

phillyrdg:

What L switches are you refering to?  O-27, O-42 based on K-Line/Marx,  O22, O72, or Fast track?

phillyreading

Quote from: DominicMazoch on January 11, 2010, 09:01:31 PM
phillyrdg:

What L switches are you refering to?  O-27, O-42 based on K-Line/Marx,  O22, O72, or Fast track?

I am referring to Lionel's number 6-23010 & 6-23011 O gauge remote control switches, circa 1995 to 1999. These switches didn't act right with my Williams engines so I went to GarGraves switches, and one of those switches after two years of use kept having power issues & acted like it had a flashing unit installed from a Christmas tree blinking light set. My problem is was this; when a Williams engine(GP-9 or SD-45) got within three track sections of the switch the center piece that controls the direction of the turn would flap radiply back & forth about 40 times a second, didn't matter what direction the Williams engine was entering the switch from(any of the three). This didn't happen with a Lionel or K-Line engine went over the same switch.   Also the Williams service department (when it was just Williams) said these switches had compatibility issues with their products.

Lee F.

Cobrabob8

My new layout uses Lionel's FasTrack system. I have had the layout for 11 months now and so far I have no complaints about the track. My layout is not too big measuring 8'6" x 13'10" and runs trains on three seperate loops. I don't think that the cost was too severe and I figure that over the life of the layout the initial cost will be offset. I am now starting on my scenery and that also helps to make the track look good.
Cobrabob.
"Train Kept A Rollin' All Night Long.."