News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Pink vs White Styrofoam

Started by bwreno, April 20, 2007, 11:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwreno

My local supplier of styrofoam has not heard of and does not carry pink styrofoam.  We both would like to know why pink is preferred as a base for a layout.  What are the physical properties differences?

Thanx,  bob

THB-DAVE

Hi Bob; you must use Dow Blue or pink extruded polystyrene foam. It is used for insulation and it is very dense and strong. It cuts without crumbling. It been a industry standard for 50 years. The white stuff is to crumbly. In Canada, where we need to insulate, it is available at every Hardwear and Home improvement store in the Country. Even are Beavers use it to insulate their Lodges!

David

Nathan

Bob,

Most home centers should carry it, and if you are in a smaller town, if you have a Do-It-Best they have it also.

Nathan

bwreno

Craig

Many people are under the misconception that white, expanded bead foam is Styrofoam. It isn't. Styrofoam is the blue extruded foam produced by Dow. Owens Corning produces pink extruded foam. Neither the pink extruded nor white expanded foam are Styrofoam.

That clarified, any extruded foam is adequate for model railroading purposes. I find the Owens Corning product to be much denser so I use it for sub roadbed. Styrofoam is somewhat softer, less grainy, and carves easier so I use it for topographical features. I do not use expanded foam at all. It is too soft for my purposes. Woodland Scenics does use expanded foam in their kits, risers, and inclines, so clearly it has its place in the hobby.

GlennW

Bob, it's possible the insulation board is not available in warmer climes. You may need to do a search on Dow or Owens Corning to find a lumberyard in your area.

pdlethbridge

you could also try a product called homasote, it holds spikes and nails very well and it is a great sound reducer. It's been around since WWII

Vinny

I got my pink board at Home Depot. It works very well.