News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3-truck Shay

Started by glennk28, December 16, 2009, 09:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennk28

UPS just delivered a 3-truck Shay--I have it umpacked--found where the DVD was hidden, but should there bee a printed instruction booklet?  Will it take the 24" radius that the 2-truck will?

thx--gj

Jon D. Miller

The 3-truck Shay I purchased in December 2006 did not include an Owner's Manual.

It is a painted unlettered version.  It came with 8 pages of documentation and the DVD. Between the documentation and the DVD information to put the unit in operation covers it all.  An Owner's Manual would have been nice but it's not really needed.

Don't know what version you have, but the painted unlettered came with four smoke stacks; straight, Hunter-Radley, Ruston, and Lima Diamond. There was also a coal load and coal spill included.

Have no idea if it will negotiate those tiny curves.  Maybe long coupled it could make it around something that tight.  Others will have to comment on that tight radius based on their actual experience.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

glennk28

That's the version I got--Micro Mark's special.  got all the pages of parts diagrams--haven't had time to watch the DVD.  BTW--I'd like to borrow a VHS from the first Shay they did--can't fine mine from move--I have a Go-Video machine that can make a DVD from a tape.  Have done that with all my other tapes--

Hadn't planned on buying this Shay but couldn't resist the price. 

My 2-T Shay goes around the R-1 curves--used to run it at shows--with a dozen Bachmann log cars-- have the tree base on the floor so figured this would be a good way to test it. 
gj

Nathan

My three truck will go around the R1 curves but it is tight.  If you do a passing siding it will derail in the 'S' curve.  It worked fine on larger curves.  I have run in on R3 and 8 to 10 foot curves and passing sidings no problem.  it looks best on R5 and larger curves.

tac

All I'd say about the Bachmann Shay - ANY Shay, be it two or three truck, is that it will run with the 'engine' on the inside of R1, but is not too keen to run with the 'engine' on the outside of the curve - the limiting factor is the connection in the drive-line - take care.

tac
www.ovgrs.org