News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Metal Spectrum 4-4-0/2-6-0 Tender Trucks

Started by Chris9017, September 25, 2010, 03:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris9017

Has anyone here ever had problems with with the plastic tender trucks on a spectrum 4-4-0s/2-6-0s falling apart after many hours of operation?

I have, and I have spent a lot of money ordering replacement trucks.   To prevent this kind of problem, why not make diecast tender trucks for the Spectrum 4-4-0s and 2-6-0s?  Sure they would be more expensive but they would last a lot longer.    The reason the shays had their trucks changed to diecast was probably because the plastic kept breaking.    Even though the lubricants are plastic compatible, over time the oil slowly weakens the plastic, and pretty soon, the tender trucks start coming apart.   

So, I think new metal tender truck should be made for the Spectrum 4-4-0s and 2-6-0s so there wouldn't be  much a need to replace the tender trucks anymore.   

For future Spectrum 4-4-0s and 2-6-0s that might come down the road, this could be a good solution, and if the tenders are given diecast frames as well to withstand the weight, that would be another plus.    But for now, there should be a way to solve the problem on stopping the Spectrum 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 tender trucks from falling apart after a lot of operation.

I sure hope this comes to play some day.

Chris.

Kevin Strong

Hmm, can't say I've ever had that problem on any of mine, and two of them are first-run locos, so they've been in service a while. I think the only time I've ever lubricated them was right after I painted them, so that could be a contributing factor. I usually only oil things when they start squeaking. (The literal implementation of the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" maintenance plan.) If oil is a concern, you could use a dry lubricant like graphite.

I'll agree, die-cast trucks would be nice on future locos. The die-cast trucks under the 1:20.3 freight equipment are very well done. (Alas, they squeak more, too.)

Later,

K

Chris9017

Oh okay.  I was told in the video to use light duty gear oil, and I only lubricate them on a periodic basis.  In California they need very little lubrication, but I have a garden railroad in Hawaii, and that's where the problem is.   In Hawaii there is a lot of salt air, and not enough lubrication can really damage the running gear on a 4-4-0 or 2-6-0 because of salt air corrosion, but too much oil weakens the plastic.  So your screwed if you don't oil them, and screwed if you do when in Hawaii.

I might look into dry graphite to see how well that works.

This problem does not happen on the Big Haulers engines because there is not as much detail on the trucks so the plastic is thicker and stronger.  So plastic trucks on a Big Haulers engine is fine, but on a spectrum with the beautiful detailing, not so much.

Doneldon

Chris-

You should be okay if you use plastic compatible lubricants.  They are available at all LHSs and Inet sellers.

-- D