News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Removing Decals From On30 Rolling Stock

Started by steveb919, December 18, 2009, 12:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveb919

My On30 layout is used for operations.  I need each piece of rolling stock to have a unique number.  Not a problem with same number on different road names but it is a problem with the same road name and same number.  I would like to put on my own Railroad Roman numbers but I need to remove the factory numbers without destroying the finish on the freight cars.  Anyone done this and how?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve B.

SideTracked

Hi Steve,

I've refinished several Bachmann locos and cars. It may be considered sacrilege, but I found the easiest way to remove the existing graphics is with automotive brake fluid. It's notorious for damaging paint; but, most of the Bachman equipment has the color in the plastic. I soak a Q-tip and work with a circular motion.

Do not over do the process. When the graphic has been removed, the Q-tip  and the area will still look milky. Now it's time to rinse with clean brake fluid followed by a soapy wash. I remove the graphics because I want a smooth surface before I air brush a fresh finish. It works for me, but you will probably want to make some tests first.

The Q-tip rubbing may put a little gloss on the graphic area, which is good for bonding your new graphic. Afterward, be prepared to hit it with a flattening agent. I use matte clear Krylon because it comes in big cans.

Good luck
Pete
Are we having fun yet?

ebtnut

I've had pretty good luck with a product called "Goof-off".  It is available in most home supply and big hardware stores.  Work it about the same way as Pete suggests for the brake fluid.

ebtnut

Incidentally, the lettering on the stock Bachmann equipment (and most all other model equipment) is not decals, but a type of ink, that is usually applied by a special rubber stamp pad. 

BKJ

Quote from: ebtnut on December 18, 2009, 11:36:44 AM
Incidentally, the lettering on the stock Bachmann equipment (and most all other model equipment) is not decals, but a type of ink, that is usually applied by a special rubber stamp pad. 

If it is ink, then I would try to use ammonia on it with a Q-Tip. I use ammonia to clean dried ink off of fountain pens that I use and restore.

Less caustic than brake fluid but may not work as well.

Just a thought!

jonathan

Steve,

I do HO, but my Bachmann equipment has stamped numbers, like others have mentioned.

This is outside the box, but I had pretty good luck using fingernail polish remover (smells terrible).  Using a toothpick, I dipped just a TINY bit onto the toothpick and rubbed ever so gently on the number to be removed.  It took about 10-15 minutes per number, but the paint underneath was not damaged (at least not visible to the naked eye).

Regards,

Jonathan

SideTracked

BKJ,

I have a Spectrum "Thomas Kinkade" decorated 2-6-0 that I'm about to strip in preparation for a standard color scheme. Out of curiosity, I just tried some laundry ammonia, and it didn't do anything. Perhaps something more concentrated would work, but I don't want anything stronger in the house. The graphics have some thickness to them, so I suspect some sort of paint as opposed to ink.

The main reason I started using brake fluid was that I'd just changed some brakes and had a large container of the stuff, and I didn't have any Goof-off. You know what they say about necessity and the mother of invention and all that stuff.  ;)

Pete
Are we having fun yet?

hminky

If you are going to strip plastic use chameleon:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/category_s/2081.htm

I have stripped "chinese" plastic with brake fluid and it went brittle.

To remove printing from Bachmann On30 freight cars:

Floquil Polly Scale ELO Paint Remover

The lettering can be sanded off the passenger cars with 2000 grit paper and water.

The lettering is pad printed.

But suit yourself
Harold

mabloodhound

Great link Harold.   Gonna' be my choice in the future.   Remember, fingernail polish remover is lacquer thinner and will 'eat' plastic.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Woody Elmore

I thought nail polish remover was acetone based - still not good with plastics.

El Loco

I have heard of useing Pine Sol on a Q Tip rubbing the pad printing until the print lifts.  I havent tried it, but from what Ive been told it works like a champ.
I have heard of using Goof Off as it does the same but better.
Chameleon, Oh yeah!  The paint remover of paint removers!

hminky

I found the only thing to take off the lettering effectively was the ELO. I tried everything else discussed on the web and it removed more paint than the lettering.

Colorado and Southern Herald

Harold

El Loco

Harold please refresh my fading memory, ??? ELO stands for???
Thanks buddy! ;D