News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Forney behaving erratically

Started by sirgibby44, December 19, 2009, 01:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miniribbet

Thanks for the steer! I'll try removing the boards and hard wiring.

Cheers!

Horse

Interesting problem.  I just joined this site...and have nothing to add about the Forney.  But I just bought a used On30 "Spectrum", two-truck, Climax at a train show.  And while it didn't buck, it definitely would lurch forward (or reverse) for a few inches and then just die there.  However, at those moments I could always hear the motor free spinning as I played with the transformer's throttle.  The engine is DCC equipped...and the lights did flash.

Too late to check all that out though.  Not knowing much about train diagnosis and repair, I've already sent it to Bachman for them to repair.  I will post again when I get their take on things.

Hope you get your Forney running soon. 

I'm really enjoying the On30 scale.  I have a Spectrum two-truck Shay which I bought new  (and performs beautifully) and about any logging or mining car I can get my hands on.

Horse

miniribbet

In addtion to the previous re-wiring of the truck, tonight I added phosphor bronze pickups to the top of the truck (attached to the small screws) and this seems to have greatly improved the running of my forney. Seems the lack of electrical pickup from the rear truck can make things erratic. Guess it makes sense since the 2-4-0 conversions with tenders seem to work great for everybody.