News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Blackstone K27 in HOn3

Started by ebtbob, April 20, 2007, 07:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtbob

Good Evening all,

Well it finally arrived!!   The first of my two K27s from Blackstone(Soundtraxx).   The engine is beautifully done with full cab detail and Tsunami sound.   The volume of the sound coming out of such a small piece is quite amazing!   The engine runs just as good as it looks.   Blackstone includes a brief history of the K27 class as well as a CD that has the Tsunami manual on it.  Also,  not seen by other manufacturers is an exploded view of the engine with all the parts identified.  There is also a nicely done lubricating manual.   Here is a pic of the engine,  sitting next to its On30 big brother.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

GN.2-6-8-0

Very impressive!! Wasn't aware soundtrax built or had locomotives built....
Rocky Lives

amdaylight

I also wish to chime in on the quality of the Blackstone HOn3 K-27. I just picked up the green boilered 455 and the paint job is stunning.  :o  And I suspect this is the right place to say job well done because I think that the little gem was made by Bachmann for Soundtraxx (you build us a locomotive and we will put a sound system in your locomotive). The packaging, the parts diagram, and the style of box are all very similar to my On30 stuff. I am beginning to sound like a broken record but I have paid a lot more for a HOn3 loco and not received any where near the value that I received with this loco. The first K-27 I bought way back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth cost $360.00 (which is what I paid for this locomotive today), and for this princely sum it was not painted, had a motor in the cab for detailing and did not run worth a darn. If you wanted one with “cab detail” and paint you would have spent closer to $750.00 I then spent $50.00 to get it painted and another $75.00 in a new motor and gear box to get it to run decently but this was considered normal for brass locomotives at the time. How lucky we are to be in this period of new products for model railroading ;D ;D

Andre  :o ;D :o ;D

ebtbob

Andre,

Your comments are dead on.   One thing I forgot mention about this engine and a something that is VERY important to me.....the presence of an operating coupler on the pilot.    This something that Bachmann as understood for some time now and why they are usually the manufacturer of choice for me in both HO and On30.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

ebtbob

GN,

This is a first for Soundtraxx.   Of the versions they are producing,  at least three models are complete sellouts.   They are also in the process of bringing out read to run box cars and stock cars.   The last I heard,  these should be ready in the June/July time frame.  Also,  Micro Trains,  the N scale division of Kadee,  is doing HOn3 reefers in C&S and WP&Y.   I have two of the C&S cars and they are done very nicely,  but are a bit on the pricey side.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

Matthew Ginkel

I got mine in undec saturaday with sound. I made a "review" video of it for Yotube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0r5W7d6hJA as well as several others! Im so happy it finnaly came, I was waiting 8 months for this.