Newbe, maintain 4-6-0 Big Haular RED COMET

Started by royde7, December 19, 2009, 07:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

royde7

Granma went garage saleing and  came home with two train sets ( Bachmann 4-6-0 Big Hauler Red Comets) that had been setting in a attick for some time . Boxes were in tack but salvaged needed alot of clean up before opening , found all parts were there and in Excellent condition. There was a heavy rattle in one engine when i took in apart i found the weight had broken loose and had to repair the mounts and replace weight.
Now that Granpa has put Train together for a to be suprised granson what do i need to maintain train , like a lube  ect. Thank for any reply.
Lee

Loco Bill

Hi Lee,
Here is a link to the instruction manual for the latest sets,  YOur y transformer will be different and you may have to unscrew the bottom plate to lube the gears, since it will not have a lube port. but it may be of some help. Besure to use plastic compatible lube if you cannort find the Bachmann line of lube.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/Big_Hauler_Instructions.pdf

Have a great Christmas with your grand son.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Jon D. Miller

Just in case you might have a question on removing the bottom cover (plate) here's a link to George Schreyer's web site.

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html#assembly

You'll only need the first part that gives step by step on removing the bottom cover to get at the gears.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

royde7

Thanks , Loco Bill & Jon D, We had a ball  He did not want to go to bed..  I can see a lot more Track in the future any suggestions as to what product to buy  some of the tracks are damaged ??
lee

armorsmith

Lee,

If you only plan to run your trains inside, then the Bachmann track will be fine.  However, if you have any plans to run outdoors, I recommend Aristo Craft, USA Trains, Llgas preferably in code 332.

Bob C.

royde7

Thank you Armorsmith , Inside only .  Granma`s $20 garagesale for two sets of trains is getting expensivee realy don`t what we have here other than just a train for granson ..
lee

armorsmith

Drop me an email at armorsmith@yahoo.com, I have some B'mann track I will let go cheap.

Bob C.