News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What curved tracks should I buy?

Started by arbasu, December 19, 2009, 11:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arbasu

I am planning 2 concentric oval tracks. I have a current 18" curve tracks.
What curvature should the outside oval track be - 22" ?
Also, if I use 22" for the outside track and I wish to use a crossover-turnout on the straight part of the oval tracks (to cross between the inner and outer tracks) then will a 18" and 22" curved ones fit with the 21.5" crossover turnouts?

ABC

Joe Satnik

Dear arbasu,

Track center-line to center-line spacing of the crossovers is 2-3/8". 

You will need to widen the inner (18"R) oval by 3-1/4".

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

full maxx

Quote from: Joe Satnik on December 20, 2009, 12:30:15 AM
Dear arbasu,

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
so does this mean that 22 will be fine as in the above post or does the 18" need a 3" piece of track in the middle of the half circles but then would that not be almost 22" and the track would hit...I am unclear of what you are saying...sorry maybe I'm just dense
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

arbasu

Thanks for the guidance!

But I see only 2.25" track extensions - how do I make a 3.25" ?

ABC

You can cut a piece of flex track to fit, and put a roadbed (cut it to fit in between) under it then ballast it similarly to the existing E-Z track.

full maxx

Quote from: full maxx on December 20, 2009, 12:36:33 AM
Quote from: Joe Satnik on December 20, 2009, 12:30:15 AM
Dear arbasu,

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
so does this mean that 22 will be fine as in the above post or does the 18" need a 3" piece of track in the middle of the half circles but then would that not be almost 22" and the track would hit...I am unclear of what you are saying...sorry maybe I'm just dense
still unclear
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Joe Satnik

The 3" straight is probably close enough.  Keep the crossovers in the middle of the long straight sides of the ovals to minimize the effect of the 1/4" error.   

4" radius difference (22"-18") minus the 2-3/8" crossover separation = 1-5/8" error on each side, X 2 sides = 3-1/4".

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.